Loading a downloaded EXS instrument and samples

thirdspace

Hi all - maybe I have missed something here but I am struggling to load a downloaded EXS Instrument and associated samples. I have placed the instrument in /Library/Application Support/Sampler Instruments and the samples in /Library/Application Support/Samples. When I open Sampler it finds the EXS ok and then offers to locate the samples as expected, but the part that is confusing/surprising me is that it is asking for the location of every sample. They are all in the same place so I would have thought it would work that out. Manually locating each sample is not an option (there are many). What am I doing wrong? Also, any advice on alternative locations etc would be useful.

(apologies if this has been covered before)

Logic Pro X 10.6.0 on MacOS 10.15.6

Of course - Leeds Town Hall Organ by Samplephonics:

https://www.samplephonics.com/products/free/sampler-instruments/the-leeds-town-hall-organ

Big download though - 3.2 GB once uncompressed!

Ok so I downloaded Part 1 and tried to load Preset 1 (from the Sampler setting menu, using "Load..." and no issue.

Then I moved the sampler instruments and samples to the locations you described in your original post, and I was able to reproduce your issue: the issue is that you now have two sets of samples, one where you had originally downloaded them, and another in the Library folder where you just copied them to. The alert you're getting is Logic asking you to choose which sample you want to use, and you're right, it's asking for every single sample.

Instead, delete the original samples you had downloaded so that you keep only the ones you have copied inside your Library. Now Logic won't ask you where to find each sample.

David, wouldn't it be better for the OP to put the samples in the user's library folder, and not fool around with the system one?

(Re-reading your post, I can see that this might be exactly what you are saying, but the wording is not clear. I don't think that anyone should have any reason to be making any changes to the root-level "/Library/Application Support/..." directory. Ever. (As a matter of software-design principle ...)

David, wouldn't it be better for the OP to put the samples in the user's library folder, and not fool around with the system one?

MacOS being a multi-user system, if you want your samples (or anything else) to be accessible by all users, you install it in the root library. If you want it to be accessible only by you but not other users, then you install it in your user library.