WD Black SN750 SSD drive for music production

Chatka

Is there anyone who has WD Black SN750 SSD drive in Mac? Is it possible to replace my 2019 iMacs(19.2, so no fusion drive) internal drive with WD? And if so, will there be any significant advantage? My previous experience is that in some cases faster drive makes more difference than more RAM.

I'm sure it would be a massive improvement over the built in 5400rpm HDD, but it's not trivial to swap the drives: https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac-21-inch-2019-sata/

Even installing and running OSX on an external SSD would be a big improvement for certain...

EDIT Oh, and for your machine it's not possible to install NVME drives, you'll need an SSD with SATA connection I believe...

EDIT2 I guess it's possible to have an external NVME SSD connected over thunderbolt, and that would be your fastest alternative, but I'm just speculating now... :)

Well, luckily my iMac has not 5400RPM hard drive :D I agree, in that case it would be a massive improvement.

It has Samsung built 256 GB SSD. As 256 GB is not much for producing music with Logic, came to mind that if I buy more storage capacity - why not also faster SSD? WD Black SN750 is much faster than my internal drive, that's sure - and it's possible to install NVME drive to my machine.

To my knowledge, even fastest external drives are slower than my internal drive, so in my case external drives are not an alternative.

Real question is does faster drive improve Logics behaviour, in these buggy times we live? Who knows, maybe 10.6.2 has corona, and Apple forces all of us use masks, when working with Logic :roll:

Worth noting that when you open an application on your Mac, the application's code is transferred from Disk to RAM. Then when working on the app, you're working from RAM, the disk is not used. When you open a Logic Project file, the file's code is transferred from Disk to RAM.

So basically a faster hard drive will make Logic open faster, or your project open faster, but it won't change your experience while working on your project in Logic.

The only exception to this is the type of Disk used by your sample libraries if your sampler is using sample streaming.