Sostenuto Pedal doesn't work on Piano through Logic

PepperStudios

Hello y'all, I have a question for all of you smarter people. Fair warning I'm have no knowledge of the more technical side of Logic. I have a Samick Digital Piano SXP511 that I use as my Piano for Logic Pro. Now this is not a keyboard like you usually think of but a full sized electric Piano with all 3 pedals a Piano would have. I have a midi cable connected to the pianos midi out and have plugged into my audio interfaces midi in and that's how my piano is connected into logic. My problem is that only the right piano pedal (sustain) seems to work on Logic. The middle (sostenuto) and left pedal don't work in Logic. This bothers me because I use the middle pedal Farr more often then I use the right full sustain pedal. Does anyone know why Logic only seems to recognize the right pedal being used? And is there anyway to make it so all my pedals are able to be used? Hopefully this makes sense to you and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Logic doesn't recognize that the middle or left pedal is being used. It does recognize when the right pedal is being used. I'm not sure if that means that only data from the right pedal is being sent to logic and received or if Logic only accepts the use of one of the pedals. Sorry if it's not very clear.

Let's have a look at the manual: The implementation chart in the back says Controller #64, #66 and #67 are both transmitted and received. #64 is the right pedal, #66 the middle one and #67 the left one.

Does the activity LED light up in Logic's main window when pressing the middle or left pedal? That display can also be configured to show the exact data being received.

There are also additional MIDI monitor applications that can show which data is actually getting sent.

I don't know if this answers your question but I'm not trying to have it play back on the piano, the Samick is essentially just my midi keyboard for Logic. I simply assumed that since it has the three pedals they would work in Logic as they would work simply playing the piano by itself but only the right pedal works when using the piano as the midi keyboard

Yes I see the activity light light up when I press the left and middle pedal however the pedals aren't doing anything

This needs more context. What kind of instrument/plugin are you trying to control here; and what would you like the pedals to accomplish?

what instrument in logic are you playing? there should be a midi in indication if those pedals are, in fact, being recognized (but i would think you'd need a plugin like pianoteq... which i believe would respond to those other pedals). you can check that out here (the basic pianteq is not expensive):

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

am not sure of any of this, just trying to help! someone else here can give you more info...

I'm not very knowledgeable about 3rd party plug-ins. I pretty much just use the stock plug ins from logic. So I use their stock regualr piano plug in like the Bosendorfer. I don't want those two pedals to do anything special, I'd just want them to operate how they do when I'm simply playing the piano by itself and not through logic.

Logic's internal plugins don't support those controllers in the typical fashion. There possibly could be cobbled something together for the left pedal but probably not for the middle one.

Another example for a third party plugin that partly supports those controllers is Arturia's Piano V2. Interestingly they claim to support all three pedals; however the soft pedal has no audible effect (sostenuto and sustain work as expected).

Hmm interesting. Thank you. I may have to check that out

or (cough cough) spend less, on the excellent pianoteq; at least, check them both out...

Hahaha I was looking at pianoteq as I wanted an actual clavichord plugin as compared to the modern electric clavinets that logic only has.

or (cough cough) spend less, on the excellent pianoteq; at least, check them both out...

Hahaha I was looking at pianoteq as I wanted an actual clavichord plugin as compared to the modern electric clavinets that logic only has.

i can't vouch for the pedals, tho... i only use a sustain pedal. but it's a great plugin; the basic version is reasonably-priced (i don't personally need the functionality of the pricier versions), and there's a wealth of sounds for it (as you've discovered).