Note selecting/moving bug in piano Roll

d_dubline

Hi All,

New to the forum but longtime Logic user. Since updating my studio computer to Big Sur and Logic 10.6.2 I've had a recurring intermittent bug with the piano roll wherein when I select a note and try to move it the note will immediately jump an octave or so down and I'll have to awkwardly try and drag the note whose position no longer corresponds to the pointer position. It's a really annoying bug that I can fix temporarily by quitting and restarting but I am getting this bug very regularly now. Anyone else have similar issues or insight for me?

Thanks,

David

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

I'm using all standard Apple hardware. No 3rd party stuff. I'll try and verify whether the bug is replicated with another user, but I've had so many bizarre UI bugs in Big Sur that I'm tending to think that it is yet another bug related the OS. I have never had anything remotely similar going back to Logic 7...

• 3 months later...

I'm still getting this behaviour, often and in varied projects (from hundreds of tracks and plugins to hardly any). I've also noticed that the piano roll will sometimes open with all notes transposed 2 octaves down (will not affect playback sound) and that the zoom function will often not keep a note's correct place in the stave (see attached video). The behaviour is intermittent and can be corrected with a restart (or sometimes just waiting long enough) but it is incredibly frustrating. I can't believe I'm the only one getting this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wOZTBhfSEuumE8vHyPZV4Se82HreZiAw/view?usp=sharing

Your video isn't showing much about what you describe…

As per David's suggestion, have you tried using only one mouse (after disconnecting) all the other devices (such as trackpad and controllers). Also, keep you computer keyboard away from reach to avoid inadvertent key presses.

Another thing to try could be to Bypass All Control Surfaces (even if you aren't using any).

Actually I see the selected note, initially on C3, apparently change pitch depending on the zoom level. This looks to me like a graphic glitch where the keyboard range on the left does not zoom proportionately to the grid where the notes are.

Weird, I have never experienced or heard of this issue before.

Does the issue disappear if you close the automation area at the bottom of the Piano Roll (press A)?

Hi David,

Yes, it is a display glitch in the zoom level case in the video (i.e. the note will still sound at the right pitch), but it seems to be related to the bigger issue noted in my first post (notes jumping down an octave when moved slightly with the mouse etc...) - I would chalk it up to maybe a graphics card issue or a bug in the OS but this issue is only occurring in Logic and only in the Piano roll editing environment, so it seems like there is something buggy in the combo of graphics card, current OS, and the way Logic's piano roll interacts with them. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll post more if I find any further insight.

As per David's suggestion, have you tried using only one mouse (after disconnecting) all the other devices (such as trackpad and controllers). Also, keep you computer keyboard away from reach to avoid inadvertent key presses.

Another thing to try could be to Bypass All Control Surfaces (even if you aren't using any).

Hi Atlas, thanks for responding, if you look closely at the video, the issue is (as described by David above) that depending on zoom level the notes actually move in the Piano Roll (i.e. a note on C3 moves to G3 at a different zoom level). And again, this is lineked to a bunch of other issues when editing in the piano roll. I don't use a trackpad, and the problem is not coming from inadvertent keyboard taps. It's a real puzzle at the moment, and not a bug that I've seen before in 20 years of Logic use...

/d

FWIW here is a screen cap of the other behaviour (notes jumping down the roll when slightly moved w/ the mouse) which is by far the most infuriating. I have tried multiple mouse setups to rule out a defective mouse sensor, but again if this was the case I'd be seeing the bug in other environments which is not the case.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sWTcrZVqJqeI8r028pY6_CZX4p7hnUOZ/view?usp=sharing

Hi Atlas, thanks for responding, if you look closely at the video, the issue is (as described by David above) that depending on zoom level the notes actually move in the Piano Roll (i.e. a note on C3 moves to G3 at a different zoom level). And again, this is lineked to a bunch of other issues when editing in the piano roll. I don't use a trackpad, and the problem is not coming from inadvertent keyboard taps. It's a real puzzle at the moment, and not a bug that I've seen before in 20 years of Logic use...

/d

Have you tried Bypass All Control Surfaces (even if you aren't using any)?

Is the note value actually *changing* (verify by opening an event list on the same data and observing that same note when you trigger the bug), or is it just a graphic/display/redraw glitch?

Hi,

As you can hear in the screengrab, the note is actually changing when it jumps (it sounds the new pitch). In the zoom example, as noted above, the note placement changes but the event doesn't.

Cheers,

/d