Does a SSD external drive need to be powered?

kerochan

Thank you so much for your time David

Maybe they are talking about the Samsung software ? not sure about the first review though.

2.png1.png

You're welcome kerochan! Yes the first user makes mention of the app (which you don't need in order to use the SSD) and the second one doesn't give any clear details but his issue is either tied to the app as well or he's done something wrong, there's no reason that updating an OS should render a SSD incompatible. Can you imagine, that would mean that to update to a newer OS you would have to worry about making sure that all your SSD drives are going to be compatible, each time you upgrade? And what if you bring your SSD to a studio and don't know what OS they use? Or what about the commercial studios who have dozens of clients coming in every single day, each with different SSDs to connect to different Macs running different OSes? All of them are compatible, it's never an issue.

Don't worry about that. Worry only that if you're getting say a SSD with a USB3 connector, your Mac also has a USB3 connector. Once connected, you follow the link I gave you earlier to format the drive (it just means you're erasing the drive and choosing the right format for it), then you have a drive that will be compatible with whatever MacOS version you're using now, have been using before, or will be using in the future.

I use 2 Samsung SSD without problems in Catalina and Big Sur.

What is not compatible is as you said the Samsung Software which is PC only and I don't know why would one need that software. I have never used an HDD or SSD software in my life :)

Thank you!

Thank you so much for your time David

Maybe they are talking about the Samsung software ? not sure about the first review though.

2.png1.png

You're welcome kerochan! Yes the first user makes mention of the app (which you don't need in order to use the SSD) and the second one doesn't give any clear details but his issue is either tied to the app as well or he's done something wrong, there's no reason that updating an OS should render a SSD incompatible. Can you imagine, that would mean that to update to a newer OS you would have to worry about making sure that all your SSD drives are going to be compatible, each time you upgrade? And what if you bring your SSD to a studio and don't know what OS they use? Or what about the commercial studios who have dozens of clients coming in every single day, each with different SSDs to connect to different Macs running different OSes? All of them are compatible, it's never an issue.

Don't worry about that. Worry only that if you're getting say a SSD with a USB3 connector, your Mac also has a USB3 connector. Once connected, you follow the link I gave you earlier to format the drive (it just means you're erasing the drive and choosing the right format for it), then you have a drive that will be compatible with whatever MacOS version you're using now, have been using before, or will be using in the future.

Seriously much appreciated. This has put my mind at rest for sure! Many thanks

The formatting really isn't hard. Open Disk Utility, select your drive, then the Erase tab, then choose APFS. The one David suggested is exFat (as are all Samsungs I think) so will open in Disk Utility so that it can be reformatted.

Hi Fusbur

I am really worried about this now, I have ordered the Samsung T5, it will need formatting and some people are tell me that my El Capitan wont work with APFS.

Any advice?

Thank you

Hi Everyone, I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you

I have ordered the Samsung t5 SSD, now I really wish I had just ordered the G drive which does not need formatting for MAC.

The problem is I am getting mixed advice about how to format it!! Most people are saying I need to use APFS, yet there are others telling me not to use APFS as I am on El Capitan, then there are others saying the drive will work whatever I choose!!! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE advise! ?? much appreciated.

Very simple:

APFS was introduced with High Sierra, so previous operating systems won't read it. Period.

So you would have to reformat the Samsung to Mac OSX Extended for El Capitan with Disk Utility.

Thank you triplets, but will the Samsung still work in the future when I update my computer or OS?

It will. Honestly, you’re overthinking all of this. Apple isn’t about cutting users off immediately with updates that mean having to replace everything at once; it’s always a gradual upgrade path. Good to be cautious, but as many have said several times over, it’s a painless process.

Thank you, can you confirm though that formatting the SAMSUNG to a non APFS format will still work with HIGH SIERRA and newer? otherwise I will just cancel the order and get a one thats meant for Mac!

Yeah, I guess it is really triplets! you got some ideas?

I have PT 12.5 and I'm at Mojave. I barely use it. Which version do you have?

Hi triplets, I also have Pro Tools 12.5! does yours work fine with Mojave!? and did you need to reinstall it to work?

If so I would consider upgrading to Mojave and getting newer Logic!

Thats amazing, but from which OS did you update from?

This was a while ago, but I remember I went from El Capitan to High Sierra, and then after some time I went to Mojave.

Now I'm on Catalina on the laptop.

ah, I have heard theres a chance of PT working if you go from High Sierra to Mojave.

Not sure that moving from El Capitan to Mojave would work, think I will stay put for now!

@kerochan,

Im a bit late to chime in here, but just to say, I have 2x1TB T5s and I'm on Catalina. They're working just fine. As soon as I get more organized I'm going to reformat both to APFS. At the moment they're MacOSX extended and if I had've known more I would've done APFS from the start. Dont apologize for a healthy dose of caution. Always good to ask questions.

As folks are saying, formatting is real easy using disk utility.

Not sure that moving from El Capitan to Mojave would work, think I will stay put for now!

Go to High Sierra first.

That way you can format the SSD to AFPS right away and you're set!

You can stay on El Capitan forever if you want, but we don't know when Apple is gonna pull the installers of previous OSes from their support page.

@kerochan,

Im a bit late to chime in here, but just to say, I have 2x1TB T5s and I'm on Catalina. They're working just fine. As soon as I get more organized I'm going to reformat both to APFS. At the moment they're MacOSX extended and if I had've known more I would've done APFS from the start. Dont apologize for a healthy dose of caution. Always good to ask questions.

As folks are saying, formatting is real easy using disk utility.

Cheers for that! good to know

Go to High Sierra first.

That way you can format the SSD to AFPS right away and you're set!

You can stay on El Capitan forever if you want, but we don't know when Apple is gonna pull the installers of previous OSes from their support page.

I think I am gonna stay put for a few months at least, all is stable, and I am paranoid too!

Not to pressurize you but @triplets makes a good point about Apple pulling installers.

Thanks, I understand. Though both the Pro Studios I use are on Mavericks and Yosemite! so I feel I am quite up to date being on El Capitan. I will move on when I am really forced too. Probably when I get a new computer.