Does a SSD external drive need to be powered?

kerochan

You can get internal SSD drives like Samsung EVO, QVO series and put them in a 2.5 enclosure which are really cheap

or even can use just a SATA to USB cable which the simple cases are really nothing more than this.

I use this case (which is on the expensive side) for two 4TB Samsung EVO internal SSD drives and it works without power.

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/mercury-elite-pro-dual-mini

I got this because I did not want to use 2 Thunderbolt ports of my MBP for 2 SSDs but if you will only use one drive, any cheap enclosure will do.

I checked that one, but I cant find out if its compatible with El Capitan, also its not formatted for MAC unfortunately, I dont really want to get into formatting tbh

Amazon.co.uk has Crucial 1TB SSD listed for 82.83 GBP, a UGREEN snap-together enclosure (the ones I use) is listed for 14.99 GBP. Get the parts, spend the 5 minutes with Disk Utility (it's worth it) and save the 117 GBP - better yet - buy 2 !

I checked that one, but I cant find out if its compatible with El Capitan, also its not formatted for MAC unfortunately, I dont really want to get into formatting tbh

You don't need to worry about a drive being compatible with your MacOS, any current drive will work with El Capitan. As for formatting, I always format all drives I purchase myself, even if they were already formatted for Mac. It takes a few seconds and that way I can control exactly how I format it.

The only stressful thing about formatting a drive is erasing data that is on it, but if you're buying a new drive, there's no data on there to start with, so no stress! All you need to do is open Disk Utility and erase the drive, choosing the desired format: https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0

You don't need to worry about a drive being compatible with your MacOS, any current drive will work with El Capitan. As for formatting, I always format all drives I purchase myself, even if they were already formatted for Mac. It takes a few seconds and that way I can control exactly how I format it.

The only stressful thing about formatting a drive is erasing data that is on it, but if you're buying a new drive, there's no data on there to start with, so no stress! All you need to do is open Disk Utility and erase the drive, choosing the desired format: https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0

Thank you for this David, If I do get a drive which needs formatting I feel more confident about it now, though I do like G Technology, but I will take another look at stuff.

Cheers

The formatting really isn't hard. Open Disk Utility, select your drive, then the Erase tab, then choose APFS. The one David suggested is exFat (as are all Samsungs I think) so will open in Disk Utility so that it can be reformatted.

Thank you!

Thanks lads. Now I read that the cable is only 12cm! is too short as my Macbook Pro is on a stand! I think I might go for the Samsung t5 instead and format it. But I have read that it doesn't work with recent OS! fine for me at the moment on El Capitan, but at some point I will have a new computer. I cant believe its that difficult just to a get 1tb SSD drive which works with USB3 , preferably formatted for Mac and with a long enough cable!

I read two reviews already that its not compatible with Catalina. On UK websites

There's no "compatibility" between an SSD and an OS: any SSD is compatible with any OS, it's just plug and play, and then you format the SSD for the OS you're using. For an external SSD you need only to check that the SSD has the right connector for your Mac (for example USB3). If you give us a link to the review perhaps we can see what they're talking about. Maybe they're talking about the Samsung software that can be used with the SSD — however you don't need to install the software to use the SSD on your Mac.

I read two reviews already that its not compatible with Catalina. On UK websites

There's no "compatibility" between an SSD and an OS: any SSD is compatible with any OS, it's just plug and play, and then you format the SSD for the OS you're using. For an external SSD you need only to check that the SSD has the right connector for your Mac (for example USB3). If you give us a link to the review perhaps we can see what they're talking about. Maybe they're talking about the Samsung software that can be used with the SSD — however you don't need to install the software to use the SSD on your Mac.

Thank you so much for your time David

Maybe they are talking about the Samsung software ? not sure about the first review though.

2.png.f272fcb70da44249e44b8bbcd923bf5e.png1.png.214dcff7c69f508231aea6774618fa4a.png