Delete channel strip without spurious warning

dmitch57

When I delete an unused channel strip like "Preview" or "Click", Logic Pro always puts up an alert saying "You are about to delete objects that are assigned to tracks in the Tracks area". No, I'm really not...the Click channel isn't associated with anything in the Tracks area. Neither is Preview. I have to hit the dire-sounding "Delete anyway" to delete the channel strip.

Why is Logic Pro putting up this alert? Having to hit "Delete anyway" sort of defeats the purpose of an otherwise-useful alert.

Why are you deleting them in the first place ? Some folks round here are crying baby tears because Logic sometimes somehow loses the connection between the metronome and the instrument channel playing the actual click and you do it on purpose ? Also, the preview channel is there to, well, preview any audio files or loops so leave them be, you're not gaining anything by deleting them.

Why are you deleting them in the first place ?

Two reasons, actually.

1. They clutter up the mixer when viewing All. They are unnecessary. I don't like unnecessary things in my workflow.

2. More importantly, I am just learning Logic Pro (after 16 years of Pro Tools). I'm doing a lot of experimenting, pushing buttons, trying things, moving things around, listening, etc. This is the best way for me to learn and understand. So when an alert pops up that I don't understand - and, given my limited-but-growing-every-hour experience, makes zero sense - I want to understand it. I want to know why the program is doing what it's doing, and if I'm missing something. So I looked around, googled the heck out of it, read manuals, perused help forums, and came up empty. So I thought I'd ask this friendly forum for a bit of help and wisdom.

Does that answer your question?

So...how, exactly, is a click channel strip "assigned to tracks in the Tracks area" (per the alert)? I can't for the life of me see any connection or assignment between the click channel strip and anything in the Tracks area. That's what I must be missing, and what I am trying to understand. Thanks.

You're right. The alert actually should read "You are about to delete objects that are assigned to tracks in the Tracks area or to other vital functions either visibly or invisibly, including but not limited to Click, Preview, Selection Based Processing A, Selection Based Processing B and any extra functions which may or may not be implemented in the future". But they couldn't get it to fit into the popup bubble.

You're right. The alert actually should read "You are about to delete objects that are assigned to tracks in the Tracks area or to other vital functions either visibly or invisibly, including but not limited to Click, Preview, Selection Based Processing A, Selection Based Processing B and any extra functions which may or may not be implemented in the future". But they couldn't get it to fit into the popup bubble.

and maybe that's the real issue, why people intelligent enough to fit so much functionality into logic itself can't fit 50 words into a popup window. perhaps at 1pt font size? or a fullscreen window... 8-)