10.5.8: Drummer (Percussion) not in time?

gacki
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

On my system the different percussion "players" (Isabela, Quincy, Finn) are all around a 16th late. Oddly enough the waveform display is correct.

The other "drummers" are (more or less) in time although they appear also a bit late to me.

I don't recall this being the case in 10.4.8.

• Solution

Hey gacki, not sure I can help since I know you're a very knowledgeable Logic user :)

I don't have that problem with the percussion players (or other Drummers) in my version of Logic, which makes me wonder what version you're on ? ;) Anyway, setting the PDC to off basically made the drummers late like you say, so what's your PDC settings ?

On my system the different percussion "players" (Isabela, Quincy, Finn) are all around a 16th late. Oddly enough the waveform display is correct.

The other "drummers" are (more or less) in time although they appear also a bit late to me.

I don't recall this being the case in 10.4.8.

I'm curious about this.

Can you create a software instrument track below the drummer track and move any drummer regions to the software instrument track.

Now you should have MIDI regions in that software instrument track of the drummer performance. Are those MIDI events slightly off as well.

OK, so it was the disabled PDC; thanks Jakob. And it also is 10.5.1, not 10.4.8. How PDC got disabled - I don't know. I recently upgraded to Mojave and Logic 10.5.1; perhaps it happened along the way there.

I still find it interesting how large and different the latencies are. The same material plays without any delay with Ultrabeat or DMD (with PDC disabled).

The drummers feel very laid back; but the percussion players are far more behind - even when just "playing" a simple handclap on 2 and 4.

Anyway, with PDC enabled the timing is fine again.

On a related note: Is there some comprehensive listing showing what each player is actually playing? Trying to have "Finn" clap on 2 and 4 in uptempo situations is a bit challenging...