Send midi from VI track and trigger another?

Eric Wikman

I vaguely recall that Jamstix used to have a built in IAC port it would send all the midi to, but I can't seem to find that now, so I'm either confusing it with something else, or they took it out.

Best approach is to use KushView Element, or BlueCatAudio Patchworks, or PlogueBidule to host Jamstix inside it... you can either host just Jamstix inside the AUmfx version of those...or you can put both Jamstix and EZD inside the hoster plugin...cabled together..and put that hoster plugin int he instrument slot that way. Works fine that way in LogicPro.

Kushview Element is nearly free. Recommend trying that first, but both Patchwork and PlogueBidule also work equally well for this.

I vaguely recall that Jamstix used to have a built in IAC port it would send all the midi to, but I can't seem to find that now, so I'm either confusing it with something else, or they took it out.

Best approach is to use KushView Element, or BlueCatAudio Patchworks, or PlogueBidule to host Jamstix inside it... you can either host just Jamstix inside the AUmfx version of those...or you can put both Jamstix and EZD inside the hoster plugin...cabled together..and put that hoster plugin int he instrument slot that way. Works fine that way in LogicPro.

Kushview Element is nearly free. Recommend trying that first, but both Patchwork and PlogueBidule also work equally well for this.

Hey thanks for this info! I'll check Kushview.

Just got Jamstix, even though the owner said Mac version is not being developed very fast.

Logic's Drummer and been great for me to mix real-ish drums with programmed and I'm trying to add Jamstix to get something similar.

• 2 weeks later...
What problem are you having? Works fine for me

Ok I just got it working in Patchwork.

EDIT: Fred from Bluecat suggested it:

______

Are you using the Audio Unit version of Jamstix? It is possible that only the VST version supports MIDI out (you may want to check with them). You can use the VST version and see if it works better.

If the plug-in properly supports MIDI out, insert it before your instrument in the chain, then select "Port A" as its MIDI output. Click on the instrument slot and select "Port A" as MIDI input.

Fred

The Blue Cat Audio Team

___

... and it works.

Thanks!

If you are not using any jamstix built in sounds you should also consider using the AUMFX version of patchwork to host only jamstix in the midifx slot of logicpro and then put AD2 in the instrument slot. This will make it a lot easier to do automation on AD2 and access multiple audio outs, etc it will basically turn jamstix into more of a pure midi plugin

Like this:

1688923717_ScreenShot2021-05-26at5_40_53PM.jpg.50d3c24f88e00e329c8987cdfca274f1.jpg

Edited by Dewdman42

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 5.43.24 PM.jpg

Hey great!

After a bit of fiddling I got it working like this now also. Is there a way to arm the track and record the midi? Just tried that and no luck.

Can I ask what version you are using? when I first bought it, I checked the beta box... and it crashes Logic. So I unchecked the box and re-installed.

I have 4.4.3 BETA 3.

I see there is 4.4.6 BETA 5

What issues do you have with this Mac version? Any major things that cause issues... or just don't work?

I can't find a simple UNDO. I do see that save states, but that is way ancient way of working if that's all there is.

Thanks so much for helping!

If you are not using any jamstix built in sounds you should also consider using the AUMFX version of patchwork to host only jamstix in the midifx slot of logicpro and then put AD2 in the instrument slot. This will make it a lot easier to do automation on AD2 and access multiple audio outs, etc it will basically turn jamstix into more of a pure midi plugin

Like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 5.40.53 PM.jpg

Yes, this is exactly what i'm looking for!

I cant seem to find the AUMFX version of Patchwork on the right hand side of their site to download?

So if I can get it to work this way will I then be able to record the MIDI into Logic or are there problems with that also?

Would I just have to drag and drop MIDI files from Jamstix into the Sequencer?

Thanks a million for all your help with this, I've been trying to get this working for ages...

1957727131_Screenshot2021-05-28at13_39_24.thumb.png.93fa9993491d10c2c4a57438dbd19ba6.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 5.43.24 PM.jpg

Hey great!

After a bit of fiddling I got it working like this now also. Is there a way to arm the track and record the midi? Just tried that and no luck.

can say a bit more today about this. For one thing, Jamstix has a feature to either export sections to midifile or to drag and drop sections of your song into LogicPro regions.. Check the user manual on that... Jamstix has its own sequencer that kind of works its own way, so most of the time you just use Jamstix and make your edits in Jamstix. But if you want to extract the parts into LogicPro to edit manually in the piano roll and freeze it in time so to speak..then you can use that drag and drop feature to drag the parts into LogicPro.. done.

Another thing you can do is buy MidiFX Freeze, which is a $6 commercial plugin in the App Store that basically will capture the midi output in real time, and then you can drag that to the LogicPro region. But in the case of Jamstix, you don't really need that.

Other work arounds people use for recording midi plugin output into the LogicPro sequencer, basically come down to looping the midi around through IAC and recording into a track. You have to be a little careful to avoid midi feedback loops, but it can definitely be done, it will not be a sample accurately midi recording, but it will be close enough, probably within 1ms.

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to hear jamstix sound rather then using midi to drive another drum library or in addition to, then you have to put Patchworks in the instrument slot if logicpro so that it functions as an instrument. Then inside patchwork’s you can have both jamstix and the other drum library….both of which can produce sound and bring to logicpro as if it’s one virtual instrument. You can use multi audio outs from patchworks to isolate the sounds from each one. Consult patchworks docs for how to configure patchworks properly to route the midi and audio around inside patchworks and out to the host daw

I was hoping to get Jamstix to play the Addictive Drums sounds only, and I tried to set it up through the AUMFX so I could use Jamstix primarily as a MIDI FX plug-in!

I will ask someone over at PatchWork to see if they can help me out. Thanks

In that case it’s simple as I said earlier, put patchworks in midifx slot. Still inside patchworks by default it does not patch the midi back out to the host, so after you instantiate jamstix, click on the jamstix name in patchworks there is a little pop up menu a d look for the midi out assignment and make sure it is set to “host”. Check patchworks manual. You can save this as a patchworks preset once it’s setup. Or save it in logicpro as a channel preset or patch, same thing more or less.

Then Also you have to configure jamstix for midi output with the addictive drums midi map. Consult jamstix manual for that part or ask in their forum. I also advise you to configure jamstix for midi-only, which turns off jamstix own Internal sounds. You won’t hear sounds either way from the aumfx slot but turning it to midi only will make sure that jamstix is not trying to produce sound thst nobody will hear. Patchworks is the thing blocking the sound, but why use the cpu or memory more then you have to?