stereo track to 5.1

danyg

noob in 5.1 :-)

I have a stereo source track and I choose Surround as an Output then the panner shows those values...

659379365_Screenshot2021-05-13at20_31_00.thumb.png.7b68fa221b5cc21e984e9db9d24eee53.png

1. is the default panner correct? Diversity 0.30 ? or should it rather be 0.25 in order to not crossfade in the middle

2. trying to read the meter... to me it looks correct... main sound L/R ... some/less sound in C Ls Rs (as the source is stereo)

Yes, that's Logic's default setting for panning a stereo source in a surround output. What you see on the meters depend on your source so we can't really say without knowing the source signal.

If you want transparent stereo panning (L signal in Left speaker, R signal in Right speaker, no signal in any other speakers) then the values should be Angle = 0, Diversity = 0, Spread = 60, Center = muted:

surround.thumb.png.30188a0a73762115d08ef353ef85bd33.png

thank you, great Info

What you see on the meters depend on your source so we can't really say without knowing the source signal.

well for testing it's a Logic full range jingle music loop (song) - what I wanted to say is that the Center (SUB) is less present in the meter than L/R - makes sense to me because the center shoudn't be as high in volume than L/R - more music signal is coming from L/R because it's a stereo music file

well for testing it's a Logic full range jingle music loop (song) - what I wanted to say is that the Center (SUB) is less present in the meter than L/R - makes sense to me because the center shoudn't be as high in volume than L/R - more music signal is coming from L/R because it's a stereo music file

I don't think it should or shouldn't be at a certain level — it's your choice. That default setting is there because someone, somewhere, at some point determined that it was a decent place to start positioning a stereo signal in a surround field — without any information related to the stereo signal or the soundscape you're mixing. There's no rule that says the Center signal shouldn't be as high in volume than L/R when you're panning a stereo file (and who says it's music? What if it's dialog? A sound effect? Ambiant background noise?) in a surround field.

In fact for panning stereo music in a surround field for movies, you often don't pan any of the music at all in the Center speaker, which is reserved mostly for dialog. The L and R speakers take care of recreating a phantom center for the music (as in a normal stereo setup), without the need to route any of the music to the center speaker.

• 2 years later...