Logic incredibly slow after update to 10.6.2

hblobl

After updating Logic from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2, it is incredibly slow, the GUI is next to being unusable. I didn't change anything other than the upgrade. ... yes, there is enough disk space. CPU load is like mad and the machine is getting very very hot. Did anybody else experience anything similar ?

Thanks for the replies so far. This problem is getting attention at the Apple Communities ("10.6.2 the worst update ever") ... it seems the midi control surfaces software is broken somehow. One workaround recommended is, to switch them off (Logic Pro -> Control Surfaces -> Bypass all Control Surfaces), if you can live without control surfaces (haven't tried that yet). Another to upgrade to MacOS Big Sur. According to one comment, the problem is gone there). This is not viable for me, since Boss Tone Studio doesn't work with Big Sur :(( . Or back to 10.6.1, which is not that perfect. The real solution of course would be, if Apple fixes the problem ASAP !

I have Big Sur and it indeed has wrecked the user interface speed in some areas. On small projects starting from scratch it seems okay but in my orchestral template with all disabled tracks (no RAM load] if I make a simple region then try to drag it to another track there is a significant GUI lag. Scrolling still seems to be okay.

I have Big Sur and it indeed has wrecked the user interface speed in some areas. On small projects starting from scratch it seems okay but in my orchestral template with all disabled tracks (no RAM load] if I make a simple region then try to drag it to another track there is a significant GUI lag. Scrolling still seems to be okay.

no such issue here (at any time since the first big sur release), and most of my work is done from a reasonably-involved template.

no such issue here (at any time since the first big sur release), and most of my work is done from a reasonably-involved template.

I see you are on an iMac though so it very well may have something to do with the video card in a particular mac. Regardless, it is pretty broken over here with the new update. I do want to see how it performs on the M1 I’ve got though.

I see you are on an iMac though so it very well may have something to do with the video card in a particular mac. Regardless, it is pretty broken over here with the new update. I do want to see how it performs on the M1 I’ve got though.

ah, let us know about your experience on the M1 (which mac, btw?)...

Well, back to the original problem ... I have a workaround so far, which really removes the performance (CPU load) issue. I did:

1. I unplugged all midi devices

2. I deleted all devices in Control Surface Setup window - even the original instances.

3. I deleted all assignments in the Controller Assignments window

4. I turned off “New -> Automatic - Installation”

5. I did “Control Surfaces -> Bypass All Control Surfaces”

6. Rebooting and Restarting Logic

After that, the CPU load issue has been gone, even when I attach my midi devices again and configure everything new from scratch. Even the tedious automatic installation of duplicate midi controllers on every Logic start is gone now - that has been in 10.6.1 already (but without performance degradation).

And ... yes ! ... I got feedback from Apple support, asking me details and for diagnostics ! I wrote a PDF to summarise the details for Apple. If somebody got the same specific problem, I can share it ... well, just don't know how to do it right now.

Well, back to the original problem ... I have a workaround so far, which really removes the performance (CPU load) issue. I did:

1. I unplugged all midi devices

2. I deleted all devices in Control Surface Setup window - even the original instances.

3. I deleted all assignments in the Controller Assignments window

4. I turned off “New -> Automatic - Installation”

5. I did “Control Surfaces -> Bypass All Control Surfaces”

6. Rebooting and Restarting Logic

After that, the CPU load issue has been gone, even when I attach my midi devices again and configure everything new from scratch. Even the tedious automatic installation of duplicate midi controllers on every Logic start is gone now - that has been in 10.6.1 already (but without performance degradation).

And ... yes ! ... I got feedback from Apple support, asking me details and for diagnostics ! I wrote a PDF to summarise the details for Apple. If somebody got the same specific problem, I can share it ... well, just don't know how to do it right now.