CORRECT FORMAT

cocoroman

Hi, I have deleted a few files, that's why I've bought "Disk Drill" I think I've found a file (project). But it tells me that; "The file couldn't be opened it isn't in the correct format.

After it says; the file be corrupted, truncated, or in etc.." What is that, what to do? I bought an extra for Recovery software, it cost's a lot of money. And it tells me that? (on the attach).

Thanks guys..

97195534_Screenshot2021-05-11at16_57_00.png.550353b781ef24e197ba0fe21f71c6a3.png

are you backing up your mac? backing up your work is the most important thing you can do. file recovery apps, especially with 'complex' files like a logic project, often find bits and pieces, but don't have the ability to re-assemble them correctly.

perhaps others here will have some suggestions, but.... BACK YOUR MAC UP. time machine, at least... and you won't have to face these issues. hope you sort it out tho...

Thanks fisherking, btw I have just moved to another drive mechanical, because I am working on SSD and LPX files takes lot of place. And the Disk Drill is really bad, it doesn't find the original files. So there is no name? I do back up on time machine, as it is only 1 TB, it deletes older files. I could find some projects, but they all say; The File couldn't be opened etc. I even checked the Time machine on Recovery software, it is quite difficult to know which one is which. After the song's name, there are projects, and those it doesn't accept. Thx anyway..

Thanks fisherking, btw I have just moved to another drive mechanical, because I am working on SSD and LPX files takes lot of place. And the Disk Drill is really bad, it doesn't find the original files. So there is no name? I do back up on time machine, as it is only 1 TB, it deletes older files. I could find some projects, but they all say; The File couldn't be opened etc. I even checked the Time machine on Recovery software, it is quite difficult to know which one is which. After the song's name, there are projects, and those it doesn't accept. Thx anyway..

get a 2TB drive for time machine... you can always tuck the one that's filling up away, for emergencies. time machine is the way to find deleted files; are these old files? ie ones that would have been deleted when your backup drive filled up? and are you opening the folder they would be in, then opening the time machine app, to find them??

seriously, you need a better backup strategy. anything that's important should be in 2 places (at least), so you don't have to try retrieving deleted stuff; again, nearly impossible with apps that can find the bits & pieces, but not put things together.

you can get 2TB really cheap these days (if it's for backup, an SSD is not at all essential).

APFS.

For mechanical drive? APFS was designed more for SSDs.

All my mechanical drives are Mac OSX Extended.

all my external drives (all mechanical) are APFS, and no issues, at all (this includes backup drives, and my archived project drives, which i sometimes work from directly). just mentioning!