Logic Creating Folder instead of Midi Track

retep
Go to solution Solved by retep,

I´ve been working with Logic for many years. Logic Pro has some features which I'm not comfortable with. All of a sudden when I want to merge (join) 2 midi tracks Logic Pro creates a folder. When I ask it to unpack this folder nothing happens. I don´t want a folder just a continuous midi track. Is there some sort of preference setting where I can bypass this and return to normal operation? Here´s a video of Logic Pro creating a folder even though the track is empty:

Sorry. The video is public now. When joining midi regions I use the key "command & J" (join). It´s worked fine for a long time now. The video isn´t good. I have a midi region (bass) that just became a folder all by itself. When I want to unpack it it disappears leaving no data.

As I said the video isn´t good. When I click on an empty track sometimes it creates a folder. Why does it do that if there´s no midi data? Also when joining 2 regions it should create a continuous midi region, not a folder which can´t be unpacked. Don´t you agree?

After struggling with it I think it has something to do with "overlapping" regions. At least Logic thinks they are.

Everything is quantised and I can´t see any overlapping. Is there a function to highlight overlapping regions?

As I said the video isn´t good. When I click on an empty track sometimes it creates a folder. Why does it do that if there´s no midi data?

Whether there is MIDI data or not shouldn't matter: clicking on a track, empty or not, should never create a folder. Does this happen in a new empty project you're starting? In all your projects? Only in one specific project? Have you always noticed that?

Also when joining 2 regions it should create a continuous midi region, not a folder which can´t be unpacked. Don´t you agree?

I completely agree, and it works as expected here, so your situation there too asks for more troubleshooting.

After struggling with it I think it has something to do with "overlapping" regions.

Why do you think that?

At least Logic thinks they are.

This kinds of statements based on what you think are a challenge for others to decipher. It's easier for us to understand what you're experiencing if you tell us:

1. What operation you're doing?

2. What result you're seeing?

Everything is quantised and I can´t see any overlapping. Is there a function to highlight overlapping regions?

Yes there is: select all the regions on the track (choose Track > Other > New Track for Overlapped Regions).

Ok. I don't understand your video though? I don't see a joining operation resulting in a folder, I see no regions, then you click and I see a folder (at the beginning), then I see regions being created? I'm confused.

I can see in the video that the first region he creates has a folder icon in it. Not sure what that means, or how he created it.

Beyond that I don't know what his problem is.

Yes, same here, I see clicking with a pointer tool, first a folder is created (first track), then regular MIDI regions are created (2nd and 3rd tracks), neither of which should happen when clicking with the Pointer tool.

Mmm. So it's not a track folder, not a take folder (or doesn't look like mine anyway), but a region folder? How do you intentionally create a region folder? I've never seen that.

• Solution

Dear all,

I think I have found the solution to the problem. Today I was in my studio to work on the Logic song. I opened the file and there were no more unwanted folders. I realised that it was a system incompatibility issue. At home I run Logic 10.5.1 but in my studio I run Logic 10.3.3. (because I use an old Mac Pro) Logic always warns when I open a song that wasn´t created using the same version but so far there were no problems. Until now. Thanks for all your input and sorry for having wasted your time.

Dear all,

I think I have found the solution to the problem. Today I was in my studio to work on the Logic song. I opened the file and there were no more unwanted folders. I realised that it was a system incompatibility issue. At home I run Logic 10.5.1 but in my studio I run Logic 10.3.3. (because I use an old Mac Pro) Logic always warns when I open a song that wasn´t created using the same version but so far there were no problems. Until now. Thanks for all your input and sorry for having wasted your time.

Oh ok now that makes sense! Thanks for letting us know what it was! :)