Recording send bypass automation

ralphonz

Hi Folks,

So I can automate the send bypass of any given send with a mouse easily. However, putting the track into latch, write or touch and then trying to record the send mute using an MCU surface (SSL UF8) doesn't record any automation data into logic... All other track parameters seem to work, i.e. send level, track volume etc but send mute automation is not recorded - can anyone confirm this? Its mightily annoying!

Hi Folks,

So I can automate the send bypass of any given send with a mouse easily. However, putting the track into latch, write or touch and then trying to record the send mute using an MCU surface (SSL UF8) doesn't record any automation data into logic... All other track parameters seem to work, i.e. send level, track volume etc but send mute automation is not recorded - can anyone confirm this? Its mightily annoying!

When you say "send mute" you mean the Mute button on the Aux that's receiving the sound from the main track?

Also, can you record it by just clicking the Mute with your mouse?

Trying to understand what's working and what's not first.

Hi Folks,

When you say "send mute" you mean the Mute button on the Aux that's receiving the sound from the main track?

Also, can you record it by just clicking the Mute with your mouse?

Trying to understand what's working and what's not first.

No, I mean the mute button (bypass)on the actual send, not the return - i.e. not the mute button on the aux channel

Just to clear things up:

280149093_Screenshot2021-05-14at21_00_00.thumb.png.051be0c232565f210fbdff0ab98d7edc.png

Yes, I can automate by clicking the mute button with the mouse! So strange! Kind of defeats the purpose of a control surface though.

Using the MCU/ UF8 there are two way to access a send bypass - in send mode hold shift and hit the mute button, or press "flip" and use the mute button. Neither of these methods record any automation in, although they do work. i.e. they mute the send and the mixer in logic shows it as muted, just nothing gets recorded.

Using a different "strip" on the control surface doesn't change anything - i.e. all the buttons yield the same results - or lack of results hahaha. It's not a problem with the hardware as far as I can tell, the buttons work as expected, it's just that no automation gets recorded (unless done with a mouse!)

I've tested this pretty extensively today, results are easily replicated with my set up. Wondering if anyone else with an MCU control surface could give it a go?

Using a different "strip" on the control surface doesn't change anything - i.e. all the buttons yield the same results - or lack of results hahaha. It's not a problem with the hardware as far as I can tell, the buttons work as expected, it's just that no automation gets recorded (unless done with a mouse!)

I've tested this pretty extensively today, results are easily replicated with my set up. Wondering if anyone else with an MCU control surface could give it a go?

My controller does very simple and limited automation that only require knobs. Other than that I use the mouse or draw it.

I’m not the best person to help with that particular issue then. Good luck. Hope you can fix that :)

Using the MCU/ UF8 there are two way to access a send bypass - in send mode hold shift and hit the mute button, or press "flip" and use the mute button. Neither of these methods record any automation in, although they do work. i.e. they mute the send and the mixer in logic shows it as muted, just nothing gets recorded.

Yes, this is exactly what I am finding too. I am using an X-Touch in MCU mode so it might be something to do with MCU implementation.

I can record the send amount from the encoder and that seems to work as expected. However, I can't record the mute activations.

Alan.

Yes, this is exactly what I am finding too. I am using an X-Touch in MCU mode so it might be something to do with MCU implementation.

I can record the send amount from the encoder and that seems to work as expected. However, I can't record the mute activations.

Alan.

Thanks for confirming Alan. I'll write to SSL, their support is very good and responsive. I have a feeling this will need to be sorted by Apple though.