Getting OSStatus error -42

haarry

Hi all, i would greatly appreciate any help because this error started occurring for the first time yesterday and is really concerning and frustrating.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -42.)"

See screenshot attached

I'm getting this error message whenever i try to play or record with more than one input at a time, and the project it appeared on became corrupted. I have reinstalled Logic, and rebuilt the project, which finally got it working and was able to record with 4 inputs again, but now it has returned.

I'm at a loss, i don't know whats going on. This is the first time I've got this error message in my several years using logic. When i google it no results come up for OSStatus error -42.

Any help or insight is verrry much appreciated. Many thanks

74368793_ScreenShot2021-05-15at8_01_13pm.thumb.png.1a9a585108e2da3e1f2ea0e66172172d.png

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -42.)

Thanks heaps for your reply David. I frequently google Logic pro question's which then lead me to this site and more often than not i happen upon your replies, which have helped me dozens of times, so thank you.

Okay, error -42 = too many files open error, good to know.

Yes i do have a couple other apps open, a word processor (WriteRoom) and usually an internet browser (Firefox).

It is the only Logic project open.

I haven't tried seeing if the project works in a new user account, ill try that.

Ok (and thanks for the kind words). So the idea is that the error you're getting, which you shouldn't be getting even if you have other apps or files open, has something to do with your OS thinking there are too many files open. This could be due to various reasons. But it certainly is interesting that you've noticed it appears when trying to record multiple tracks (which makes Logic attempt to create temporary invisible audio files so that it can put the audio data inside them).

Just thinking out loud but this gives us a few things to try to further troubleshoot this so let us know what you find out and we'll keep looking. It would be very interesting for the entire community if we can find out what is triggering the error and how to avoid it.

I use this site on error messages from applications when the error message doesn't contain more descriptive data or to get more data on what I can do to resolve the error message.

https://www.osstatus.com

This particular error message is from the operating system.

What that means is one or more applications in total are going over the open file limit set at the operating system (OS X).

If you're ready to do music in Logic, you should just have Logic open and that's it.

If you want to read email, open a mobile device for that or use another computer to open other applications, but leave Logic as the only open application on computer that's running Logic.