lost split points / truncated regions

enricobrahms

Hello fellow Logic Users: Opening an old file where several regions using different mics were previously aligned, I discover that Logic has forgotten the edit points where certain regions were split (the shorter two in the center here). Is there a way to recover the position of those split points, or to copy them from the regions below?

1540876982_ScreenShot2021-05-15at12_24_17PM.thumb.png.82ef4d995afbedbc0016ff0b2e0d2e1c.png

Where is the data stored that records the trim points in relation to the original audio file, and can I access it?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

When you edit audio regions in a Logic project, each audio region represents 3 pieces of information:

1. What parent audio file the region refers to.

2. Sample number inside the audio file where the region starts.

3. Sample number inside the audio file where the region ends.

All that information is saved within the Logic project file itself. If that information has changed since you last saved your project file then it's possible you've destructively edited the audio file itself, most likely in another Logic project, or in another app, making the region information stored in your current project no longer correct. In that case though, you should have gotten an alert like that when opening the project:

alert.png.ed470afe55aa40ffd64b97c82b265d2e.png

The parent files have not been destructively edited. When I stretch the region, I easily recover the entirety of the original region.

So, according to your list:

1. What parent audio file the region refers to. - This remains intact, as does the start position on the timeline

2. Sample number inside the audio file where the region starts. - This has been lost

3. Sample number inside the audio file where the region ends. - This has been lost

What I would like to is readjust (input manually if necessary) the sample numbers for start and end points, which I can copy from the adjacent tracks, if there is a way to access them. Thanks for any help.

The parent files have not been destructively edited. When I stretch the region, I easily recover the entirety of the original region.

So, according to your list:

1. What parent audio file the region refers to. - This remains intact, as does the start position on the timeline

2. Sample number inside the audio file where the region starts. - This has been lost

3. Sample number inside the audio file where the region ends. - This has been lost

What I would like to is readjust (input manually if necessary) the sample numbers for start and end points, which I can copy from the adjacent tracks, if there is a way to access them. Thanks for any help.

No, there's no way to access that data. If it has been lost without the file being moved or modified outside of this project file, then it's possible that your project file has become corrupted. If that's the case, then I recommend you rebuild the project file before something else goes awry. You can use File > Import > Logic Projects to import your tracks in a new empty project in order to rebuild.

For your corrupted regions however I'm afraid you'll have to rebuild them manually. If the files have the same lengths as the ones in your other tracks, then you could duplicate one of the "good" track and pull the left edge as far left as it will go to see the start of the audio file, then on an empty track import the audio file for one of the corrupted region, line them up, then resize them to match the ones on the "good" track. You can use alignment guides to help you line up everything.

Clearly Logic is storing the start and end sample numbers of each region somewhere; how to uncover that data is the question...

Yes, Logic is storing it in the Logic project file but they're not supposed to be user-accessible. Feel free to, in the Finder, control-click your Logic project file, show package content, and start hunting down for tiles to open in text editors, however I doubt you'll get very far.