Unable to open Logic, crashes on open due to plugin

SaxBlaCussionizer

Greetings LogicalProFolk-

I am using the most recent version of Logic Pro X on an M1 Mac running Big Sur 11.2.3.

All my plugins have been validated by Logic including the ones that i will mention here that are causing the issue. Supposedly, the plugins used below have been validated to work in the newest Macs, though i've found that to not be true here.

I created a project and am wanting to do some spectral repair on some audio created previously. I pulled in the iZotope RX Spectral Repair plugin into my track and got the following error:

"An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem which might cause the system to become unstable. Please quit and restart Logic Pro."

Before it crashed, it gave me the option of saving my work, which i did. However, now when i attempt to open Logic, it takes the default behavior

(which i've since learned that i can change ONCE I AM IN LOGIC) and tries to open the previous project (containing the ruinous plugin that caused

the problem initially). That results in the same error and my only option is to 'Quit' again.

In short, i am completely unable to start Logic now. :evil:

Is there any way to start Logic in this current state and have it open a blank project for me? Or, am i going to have to uninstall/reinstall Logic?

(and i'm not even sure that it won't have saved my default settings from prior Logic incarnations on my machine?)

Help me if you can, i'm STUCK in the mud!

cheers,

jim.

You can turn off the audio engine in the prefs (or hold Control while starting Logic), then load your project, remove the plugin, and re-enable Core Audio.

(Or trash your prefs to forget Logic loading the last loaded project).

Are you running Logic in native mode, or under Rosetta?

You can turn off the audio engine in the prefs (or hold Control while starting Logic), then load your project, remove the plugin, and re-enable Core Audio.

Thanks, i will try that. I'm running Logic natively, running on a new M1 Mac Mini.

BTW, it would be good to know how to "trash my preferences"?

Quit Logic, and move/delete the file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

(that's the Library folder in your Home folder).

Logic will create a fresh new set of default preferences next time it runs.

Note - iZotope states on their website that RX does not yet work natively on ARM Macs, so maybe you should work under Rosetta if you need those plugins?

This worked, thanks, i learned something today!

To be clear for those coming along later, when holding the Control key down while starting Logic from the Launchpad, it'll ask if you want to start Core Audio, and you will say 'No' to that and your plugin will be disabled. It will look like you can't change it but if you right-click on it, you can choose "Disable plugin" which will remove it.

And..... save your work!

Thanks for the help, MUCH appreciated!

cheers,

jim.

Quit Logic, and move/delete the file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

(that's the Library folder in your Home folder).

Logic will create a fresh new set of default preferences next time it runs.

Note - iZotope states on their website that RX does not yet work natively on ARM Macs, so maybe you should work under Rosetta if you need those plugins?

Thanks for that, i've made a note about it. You are right about iZotope, i "thought" i had researched this earlier and found that iZotope was on 'the good list' but i was wrong about that.

One additional question (though i am back up and running thanks to your help). Is it fairly straightforward and not time-consuming to switch back and forth between running Logic natively and via Rosetta2? I would always prefer to run natively, but i do occasionally need to run an iZotope plugin. Pretty much every single other plugin that i have used recently seems to run fine in 'native mode'.

thanks much!

cheers,

jim.

• 8 months later...

THANK YOU MAN!!!

THANK YOU MAN!!!