Logic projects at 88.2k will only bounce to a 48k file on an external hard drive.

BEC

Hi

I've been working at a sample rate of 88.2k in my Logic projects now for a few years. All my Logic projects are stored on an external hard drive connected via USB so when I bounce a mix out to the 'bounces' folder in each respective project I'm getting a warning message:

'The destination format does not support sample rates above 48k. Logic Pro can convert the bounced data's sample rate - do you want this?'

I have to agree because I don't have any other option but I'm not sure what the Logic sample rate conversion is doing to the audio and as I'm working at 88.2k sample rate I'd like to keep the bounced files the same, at least until the final conversion to 44.1 for CD.

I'd be interested to know what other forum members thoughts are on this issue - whether they think it matters and if anybody has a workaround.

Thanks

BEC

Ah I've sussed it - thank you for bringing my attention to that.

I was bouncing to WAVE 24bit at 88.2k but I was simultaneously bouncing to mp3 as well - it was the mp3 conversion bounce that was producing the message. - I just tried bouncing a WAVE 24bit 88.2k on it's own and no problem - didn't get the message, then did another bounce with mp3 selected as well and up comes the message - I obviously didn't realize that the mp3 format must be limited to 48k. So I'm guessing that every time I have bounced my project files to WAV and mp3 simultaneously, Logic has converted my 88.2k WAV file to 48k to then make an mp3? - but is my original WAV file bounce still at 88.2k or is it now at 48k?

Maybe if I want to save my project bounces at the original project sample rate of 88.2k, I'll have to forego creating an mp3 at the same time?

Yes, WAV supports whatever sample rates you need. mp3, being lossy compressed audio, is a completely different thing. You can bounce multiple formats all in one go - so if PCM is ticked and mp3 is also ticked, you'll be bouncing both an uncompressed WAV (at whatever PCM settings you've chosen) and an mp3 (at whatever mp3 settings you've chosen.)