"Solved" Studio Strings articulation switch shortcut?

cellicello

Hello :D ,

With Studio Cellos, for example, I would like to find a way to quickly change articulations (playing techniques) with a shortcut.

Until now I change the articulations after inputting the notes, by selecting them and going to the Articulation drop-up menu in the piano roll.

I found the key switches in the Smart Controls.

The articulation change when I play from C1 to F2 with my midi keyboard or when I click on those keys,

it will sound like a different articulation, but it doesn't change the articulation to the midi notes in the piano roll when I input them with midi in.

It works only if I record in real time.

Any ideas on how I could make a shortcut from my computer keyboard to change quickly articulations :?:

78154787_ScreenShot2021-05-17at21_50_40.thumb.JPG.bac0aee47f40b3c7d430f4ba0880ed51.JPG

1763766358_ScreenShot2021-05-17at22_07_44.thumb.JPG.d9fea9f6a3eb496fe0235bd29bfe17b7.JPG

Edited by cellicello

Thank you very much, David Nahmani for your reply :D

It's too bad that the key switches of the Smart Control will only keep articulation on the Piano Roll while recording.

I'll send feedback to Apple asking for include articulation when input notes with Midi In.

I should have read the OP more carefully....I see this now:

The articulation change when I play from C1 to F2 with my midi keyboard or when I click on those keys,

it will sound like a different articulation, but it doesn't change the articulation to the midi notes in the piano roll when I input them with midi in.

It works only if I record in real time.

Do you mean you are using step-time input to input the notes into piano roll via midi keyboard?

well anyway, no LogicPro doesn't have any way to assign key commands to articulationID's, some people say they have been able to use Keyboard Maestro to do this, but I've never tried it.

Hello Dewdman42,

thank you for your comments :)

I tried two techniques, the step input with a midi keyboard,

or just inputted "manually" with the trackpad for example.

Both of those technics let me change the articulations before I input notes with the drop up menu

or with the key switches and will sound as it changed, but after I play the midi notes

in the piano roll, they are still "-" without articulations.

For now, I will change articulation after inputted midi notes and try to use Keyboard Maestro or Metagrid to send midi notes with shortcuts.

You could use different MIDI Channels for each articulation, then use the MIDI Channel key commands to go to the next/previous articulations, or to choose an articulation directly: =quote]

As I'm not familiar with midi, could you explain in more detail how to use different MIDI channels for each articulation?

Edited by cellicello

In order to enter notes in the piano roll with your trackpad with articulation id set to them as you enter them, you. need to use the control on the left side of the piano roll, the inspector; there is an articulation control but only when there is an articulation set active.

440695419_ScreenShot2021-05-17at6_33_30PM.thumb.jpg.5d41470a85855f3c3b06392131e05565.jpg

If you choose an articulation id there....and then start entering notes on the piano roll with the pencil tool.....that articulation id will be used to create each new event.

Its not clear to me what you mean when you say you are using midi to do it in the piano roll.

You can also use the step-input tool to use your midi keyboard to record notes and likewise if the above control on the left side of the piano roll is set to an articulation id, then your midi or GUI step inputs will record notes with that particular articulation.

if you are trying to use the control at the top of the studio strings window, that is not quite what you think it is. That affects the sound of the instrument, but does not directly affect what is going to be recorded into a region. Its an instrument thing, not a track thing.

It appears that this control at the top of the instrument window is sometimes linked to the articulation set in some way so changing that control will have the affect as if you were recording the part in real time and using the articulation input keyswitches to determine the articulation to assign to notes as you record them in real time, but that is just a flukey little shortcut that Apple apparently coded under the covers....and aside from that, the control at the top of the instrument window is adjusting what the instrument will currently sound like...but not generally have any impact on how your notes will be recorded or set into the midi region as you record or add them through set entry or manually with a trackpad or other means like that.

Edited by Dewdman42

finally as a follow up, if you are wanting to use your midi keyboard or a keyboard command to set the value of that articulation control I mentioned above, on the left of the piano roll, I do not think there is a way. Try KeyboardMaestro for that.

to summarize,

The input keyswitches of the articulation Set affect real time recording and step input, and what articulationID will be assigned to each real time recorded note. And this is linked to the control at the top of the studio Strings window also in some way.

However for entering notes via piano roll, etc...its the control on the left that I mentioned...and...the articulation Set input switch is not connected to it, and its not connected to the top of the instrument window either. It is a midi event inspector, showing the value of the currently selected midi event...and/or a way to select one or more midi events and set the articulationID....and/or...if you set it first and then start entering some notes with pencil...then that value is used for articulationID also.

and sadly I don't think there is a keyboard command associated with it, which means you would have to try KeyboardMaestro or some other tricky means, especially if you're wanting to use a midi event to set that control somehow...you might have to resort to using other tricky work arounds, I'm not sure, never tried it.

Edited by Dewdman42

Dewdman42,

Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation :D

In order to enter notes in the piano roll with your trackpad with articulation id set to them as you enter them, you. need to use the control on the left side of the piano roll, the inspector; there is an articulation control but only when there is an articulation set active.

Right :)

If you choose an articulation id there....and then start entering notes on the piano roll with the pencil tool.....that articulation id will be used to create each new event.

It's working with the pencil tool :) but not with the midi keyboard :(

It's not clear to me what you mean when you say you are using midi to do it in the piano roll.

Sorry I mean using a midi keyboard without step-input engaged.

You can also use the step-input tool to use your midi keyboard to record notes and likewise if the above control on the left side of the piano roll is set to an articulation id, then your midi or GUI step inputs will record notes with that particular articulation.

In my case with the step-input the articulation will not get "printed" saved in the piano roll :(

if you are trying to use the control at the top of the studio strings window, that is not quite what you think it is. That affects the sound of the instrument but does not directly affect what is going to be recorded into a region. It's an instrument thing, not a track thing.

I don't understand "the control at the top of the strings window"

It appears that this control at the top of the instrument window is sometimes linked to the articulation set in some way so changing that control will have the effect as if you were recording the part in real-time and using the articulation input keyswitches to determine the articulation to assign to notes as you record them in real-time, but that is just a flukey little shortcut that Apple apparently coded under the covers....and aside from that, the control at the top of the instrument window is adjusting what the instrument will currently sound like...but not generally have any impact on how your notes will be recorded or set into the midi region as you record or add them through set entry or manually with a trackpad or other means like that.

Same as above, I don't understand what is "that this control at the top of the instrument window"

This statement is not clear. "not with the midi keyboard" is not enough detail to understand what you are attempting to do.

Sorry I mean using a midi keyboard without step-input engaged.

It works for me.

In my case with the step-input the articulation will not get "printed" saved in the piano roll :(

works for me.

I don't understand "the control at the top of the strings window"

1643644535_ScreenShot2021-05-17at8_29_22PM.thumb.jpg.fce76f9c06e7f2987dff8ec265ee6eef.jpg

I guess you must be talking about this form of midi in to the piano roll:

1624439323_ScreenShot2021-05-17at10_25_45PM.jpg.66fb9f3a28c8195e880dd2884de68640.jpg

As you described, it seems to initially set the note with the correct articulation, but then it clears itself to "-". In my view that' s a bug.

I can't think of a work around right now either. Keyboard Maestro won't help you either.

This statement is not clear. "not with the midi keyboard" is not enough detail to understand what you are attempting to do.

With the pencil tool, articulation will remain in the piano roll, but with my midi keyboard (CME XKey Air, and Roli Lumi)

the articulation doesn't remain in the piano roll.

I tried with Bluetooth and with a USB cable connection from my midi keyboard to my computer, and I get the same result.

It works for me.

It looks that my configuration is wrong somewhere.

Please read this whole thread again carefully. The step input uses the articulation control at the top of the instrument window, not the one on the piano roll. Conversely the pencil tool uses the articulation tool the articulation control on the piano roll and it on the top of the instrument window. The midi-in feature of the piano roll is fundamentally broken with regards to articulation entry

Please read this whole thread again carefully. The step input uses the articulation control at the top of the instrument window, not the one on the piano roll. Conversely, the pencil tool uses the articulation tool the articulation control on the piano roll and it on the top of the instrument window. The midi-in feature of the piano roll is fundamentally broken with regards to articulation entry

Thank you for your support :D

I read your thread as carefully as I can.

Using the step input with the articulation at the top of the instrument window

and clicking on the keyboard of the step input work as you explained.

The top of the instrument window's Articulation takes over control of the Articulation left to the piano roll.

But when I use a midi keyboard (CME Xkey, LUMI ROLI Casio Privia PX130) to enter midi notes in step input mode,

the articulation gets not recorded.

Same things for the pencil tool.

Using my trackpad, everything is fine, but not with a midi keyboard.

I really think that it is a bug.

I'll reinstall Logic and try again.

I think I was not understanding at that point what you meant by midi-in.

My Logic Pro specs are in my signature.

I have personally not spent a lot of time using step entry methods in LogicPro, so I'm afraid there is not much more I can add at this point...perhaps others may have some ideas about how to use step entry, which does seem to work properly...but...I could not figure out how to use the midi keyboard with the step entry dialog.

Oh ok that's the Step Input Keyboard. When the step input keyboard is open you can use it to select note lengths, and you can then enter your notes directly from the keyboard underneath, or any other way (musical typing window, connected MIDI keyboard) as long as your MIDI In button is selected (red) in the Piano Roll:

1329802021_ScreenShot2021-05-19at03_43_02.png.2251cd0cb28fcf8518022e3943eb690c.png

well what I found with the red midi-in button lit, then the problem that cellicello is having happened to me also. I feel like the midi-in button bypasses the step input keyboard in some way, I don't know..but anyway, like he experienced, with or without the step input keyboard showing...the red midi-in button results in notes being added to the piano roll when I hit them on my keyboard, but LogicPro immediately clears the articulation back to "-"

The Step input keyboard..that works....but there is no way to use a midi keyboard...other then the noted red midi-in button that has a problem.

One work around is to use the QWERTY keys that are on the step input keyboard, or the other musical typing keyboard too I suppose, but step input keyboard lets you specify duration and chords, etc. In any case, when you use QWERTY, then the articulation control at the top of the instrument window....as well as the articulation set smart controls screen....will work correctly!

Next work around after that would be to assign midi keys to the key commands that are active in the step input keyboard dialog...so that you can use one octave of your midi keyboard to enter in notes to the piano roll, while making sure the red midi-in button is NOT lit red...something like that...