A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
stobarta@gmail.com
Topic Author
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:10 pm

Any Point in Logic 9?

Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am

I have been using Logic x for a few years but I still have my DVD copy of Logic 9, including its 8 discs of content. Does anyone know if there is anything in that content which is unavailable to new Logic 10 users, or can I confidently dispose of it?
Logic 10.5.1 Mac OS Catalina
Mac mini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 32GB
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Casio CZ1. Yamaha P-95 piano
 
User avatar
kerochan
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 am
Location: London UK

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 12:12 am

Not sure about that, but I know 2 engineers who swear by Logic 9 for its stability, which is paramount.
Apple Certified Pro - Logic Pro X 10.3.
Logic Pro X 10.3.2 El Capitan. 10.11.3
Macbook Pro mid 2015 15" 2.8 Quad core i7 16GBRAM,
Thunderbolt 27 display.
UA Apollo 8 QUAD audio interface and satellite TB Quad & Apollo Twin Duo.
Genelec 8040 monitors + Avantone Mixcube
Macbook Air (for traveling) i7 2 core, 8gb RAM.
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 84783
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 1:13 am

Yes there may be some Logic 9 content that is no longer in Logic 10. For example the Soundtrack Pro foley sound library (footsteps...).
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 am

David Nahmani wrote:
Yes there may be some Logic 9 content that is no longer in Logic 10. For example the Soundtrack Pro foley sound library (footsteps...).


Is there a definitive list anywhere of content that came with old versions of Logic? I still use certain EXS24 sample libraries that used to be bundled (particularly the Xtreme series: Xtreme Analog, Xtreme Digital, and Xtreme HipHop) but the problem is I can't remember exactly which version of Logic came with them and I can't find a record of it on the web.

This is annoying because I always like to have written evidence of my licence to use any samples (and indeed some clients require it).
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 84783
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 1:27 am

David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 1:42 am

David Nahmani wrote:


Thanks for these links - unfortunately I can't see the ones I'm looking for in there (Xtreme Analog, Digital and HipHop).

They were originally Emagic sample packs released shortly before the Apple takeover (around 2001/2002), and I think it might have been right after the acquisition when they were included, as Apple (possibly briefly) bundled a load of Emagic stuff that had previously been sold separately.

I just know that they were bundled in a version I bought, and that I still use them, but that I have no way of proving that I bought them :(
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 84783
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 3:54 am

AllTheButtons wrote:
I just know that they were bundled in a version I bought, and that I still use them, but that I have no way of proving that I bought them :(

If you have them installed and are using them, and you own a legit copy of the current Logic version, I wouldn't worry about having no way of proving that you bought them. Not saying you're completely 100% legit doing that but I strongly doubt that Apple would go after you, and since Emagic no longer exists...
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM
 
User avatar
fuzzfilth
Posts: 4773
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am
Location: Germany

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 4:04 am

I would not lose any sleep over this.
Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer

1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM
2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM
OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.5.1
 
gacki
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:18 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 4:38 am

I think a number of presets were renamed over the years; so it can sometimes be a bit confusing when working on older projects, changing a setting and not being able to find the previous setting.
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 5338
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 5:00 am

AllTheButtons wrote:
Thanks for these links - unfortunately I can't see the ones I'm looking for in there (Xtreme Analog, Digital and HipHop).


Xtreme Analog, Digital, and Hiphop were never directly bundled as such with Logic.

They did integrate much of the content of Xtreme Analog and Xtreme Digital into Logic Studio's factory content (raw samples, and sampler instruments), and that stuff should still be at least in LPX's "Legacy" content downloads, if it's not still in the main libraries.

Xtreme Hiphip was never bundled or included with Logic at all, probably due to licensing reasons. I have a copy, it was a nicely produced library. You can occasionally find them for sale on eBay or something, but you certainly won't find that content in any of Logic's factory stuff.
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 5:51 am

Found it!! (Or at least part of it)

A Sound On Sound review of Logic Pro 8 which mentions it being bundled with Xtreme Analog and Xtreme Digital:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/apple-logic-pro-8

Now the only thing left to find is Xtreme Hip Hop!
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 5338
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 7:11 am

Like I said above, they integrated that content into Logic Studio (LP8.x). This is what they mean by "bundled" in that review, but it's not like Logic Studio came with the Xtreme Analog/Digital disks, original installers, manuals etc as separate things. They just integrated most or all of the samples and instruments into the core Logic Studio content.

Hiphop was only ever available for purchase as a separate thing, but if you were using that previously, you presumably bought it and have the package content, disks/manuals etc, because that stuff did not come with Logic Studio.
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 am

des99 wrote:
Like I said above, they integrated that content into Logic Studio (LP8.x). This is what they mean by "bundled" in that review, but it's not like Logic Studio came with the Xtreme Analog/Digital disks, original installers, manuals etc as separate things. They just integrated most or all of the samples and instruments into the core Logic Studio content.


Yes - thanks for the tip! The SoS article is useful because it provides a widely-known source of evidence that I am licensed to use the samples, in the event it is ever queried.

des99 wrote:
Hiphop was only ever available for purchase as a separate thing, but if you were using that previously, you presumably bought it and have the package content, disks/manuals etc, because that stuff did not come with Logic Studio.


Frustratingly I no longer have any disks or documentation for Xtreme Hip Hop, and I can't find receipts for it in my old email accounts. It's the only sample pack I still use that I can't find the licence for. I would almost swear that it came with Logic itself, albeit it was 20 years ago so I could well be wrong! Perhaps it was Logic Express, or maybe it was a shop that bundled them together back in the days of boxed software.

I mean, as others have said, I'm sure no-one's going to care, but as a professional I worry about making things properly legal! If I could licence it again for a reasonable price, I would, even though I already own it :)
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 5338
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 am

AllTheButtons wrote:
Yes - thanks for the tip! The SoS article is useful because it provides a widely-known source of evidence that I am licensed to use the samples, in the event it is ever queried.


I have a listing of the content that came with LP Studio, as well as the install disks. You could certainly easily show that content was included if needed.

AllTheButtons wrote:
Frustratingly I no longer have any disks or documentation for Xtreme Hip Hop, and I can't find receipts for it in my old email accounts. It's the only sample pack I still use that I can't find the licence for. I would almost swear that it came with Logic itself, albeit it was 20 years ago so I could well be wrong! Perhaps it was Logic Express, or maybe it was a shop that bundled them together back in the days of boxed software.


I can categorically tell you that Xtreme HipHop was never bundled with any copy of Logic. How you obtained a copy I don't know, perhaps a shop you bought it from included it as an extra, but obviously I have no idea on that. Maybe it's possible the odd vocal sample of something was included - do you have an example projects that use content to check? If you let me know the sample/instrument names I can check the contents here if you like.

AllTheButtons wrote:
I mean, as others have said, I'm sure no-one's going to care, but as a professional I worry about making things properly legal! If I could licence it again for a reasonable price, I would, even though I already own it :)


It's always a problem with old libraries that are no longer supported. If you're worried about it, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for copies on eBay etc and pick up a copy cheap, so you can show you own the library if you were required to prove it.
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am

des99 wrote:
It's always a problem with old libraries that are no longer supported. If you're worried about it, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for copies on eBay etc and pick up a copy cheap, so you can show you own the library if you were required to prove it.


Given the whole "licensed not bought" thing with samples, would buying a copy on eBay be sufficient?

EDIT - found an old manual for another eMagic library and the licence is "non-transferable" :(
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 5338
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Any Point in Logic 9?

Tue May 18, 2021 8:47 am

AllTheButtons wrote:
Given the whole "licensed not bought" thing with samples, would buying a copy on eBay be sufficient?
EDIT - found an old manual for another eMagic library and the licence is "non-transferable" :(


You said above you already own a copy of it (and were using it), but have no proof of ownership - no receipts, no media, nothing.

If you buy a second copy of the media, you now have proof of ownership, because you can show the disks. That's as good as you're going to get, because there is no "licence in your name" or anything like that that came with these libraries. At best there might have been a serial number, I can't remember without going to look at my copy, but I doubt Apple would be able to look that up for you now. Remember, the original company that licensed that material does not exist anymore.

So it's not about officially licensing old content, it's about being able to prove, as best you can, that you have legitimate access and rights to use that material. Think of it as replacing your lost media, not buying an unofficial non-transferrable license.

Now - not a lawyer, obviously, but if that isn't good enough for you, then there is nothing short of you finding a purchase note/invoice for that library that will reassure you...

Edit: I just looked at my original copy, there is no serial number or license information on the package.... I also looked at the disk contents, and there is no license information, legal stuff, terms of use, or anything other than the samples themselves. So the official contents of this library have *zero* license information contained with them, and certainly there is no license terms to bind the user too.

Given that a lot of these samples were, according to the pamphlet, "sourced from various HipHop producer friends", it's possible that the legality of much of the content is questionable anyway (unless all producers had to create original content only and sign contracts saying they were all their own work, which is certainly possible), which is why Apple never took it on and integrated it into Logic, unlike the Analog/Digital libraries, which were done in house. Take that as you will...

Last point - given how concerned you are about proving sample library licenses, it's strange to me you would have bought a sample library and not kept records of this, and the original media, for exactly this reason. Are you *sure* you bought, or had, this library? If you never bought it, or never had the disks, then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have got it legally (like I say, this was never bundled without packaging with other emagic products). It all seems a bit weird.

Like I say, if you can provide examples of filenames from this you've used in your commercial work, I can look them up to see whether they came from Xtreme Hip-Hop, or whether they were from the Logic Studio factory content - and if it's the latter, then you can rest easy.
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio