Are MIDI Controller Assignments Global?

okulo

Being a relative novice at MIDI, I have a question which is related to but different to my first post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157582

When assigning controller functions in Logic, are those assignments global, or can one button/pad/knob be assigned multiple functions per instrument or window?

I have always been under the impression that it would be possible to assign, say, a knob as a fader when in the mixer but that it could become, say, an envelope control when a synth plug-in window was active (and that I was just to afraid of the water to jump in and try it). The Expert View of Controller Assignments seems to be far too sophisticated for this not to be possible. It has Zones and Modes and parameters which are beyond my current comprehension and I have seen screenshots of Controller Assignments with about 20 Zones so I find it difficult to believe that it is necessary to keep re-assigning controls every time you want to change your workspace.

Yes, assignments are global. If you want to do anything more complicated than quickly assign a MIDI control to a plugin control, then you'll need to learn how the controller assignments schemes work (there's plenty of info in this forum).

What you want to do is possible, but is a lot more involved to setup manually than you probably think. It's why a lot of people buy proper control surfaces that have this all setup and designed in so the user doesn't have to.

That's the answer I suppose I kind of hoped for given that my efforts have so far failed.

If it was not possible, I'd have been disappointed, if it was possible and I had not found it, I'd be kicking myself.