Workflow Question

Anna_X

hey :) I’m a long time GarageBand hobbyist who just got into Logic and I LOVE it.

I’ll have tons more questions later, but I was gifted a Tascam Model 16 a few months back and I love that too.

My question is, how would I align my Model 16 tracks in Logic?

Like, if I’m playing along to a MIDI drum machine, or a drummer on e-drums, will that tempo/bpm data import or am I going to have to do a lot of nudging?

I kinda want the best of both worlds, tracking ideas on the tactile Model 16, but having the flexibility of a DAW especially Logic’s drummer and loops, as I am a one girl operation!

Thx :)

Hi Anna and welcome to Logic Pro Help! How are you transferring the audio files from the Model 16 to Logic? If you record them all in real time in a Logic project, or if you import all the audio files somehow onto your Mac and line them all up at the beginning of a new empty project, then they should sync up?

Personally I'm a big proponent of keeping things simple and IMO two recorders and two mixer is one too many of each, so I would recommend you record straight into Logic and ditch the Tascam... but I'm not you and we each have our preferred workflows, and I completely understand the attraction of a tactile piece of hardware.

Hi David! Ty for the fast response.

I’m not married to the Model 16 as it was basically free. I just like plugging in and capturing moments of inspiration since it’s so plug and play (and down in my living room vs. in the studio upstairs).

I’m just laying down bits to a metronome routed via Bluetooth, haven’t attempted to import anything over to Logic yet, was just curious if the Model 16 was even worth messing with.

I could prolly sell it, I just want a REALLY easy ‘idea capture’ interface... like, I’m in love with my BOSS RC-3 because I can just be inspired and get instant gratification.

I’m not much of a song planner! I <3 Logic so much but I’d rather not use it for sketching.

I dunno, what do you think I should get that could marry up w/Logic? :)

Thank you David - when my ex-boyfriend musician left me (locked up) I was left with a lot guitars, amps and a Hammond B3 with Leslie, vintage synths - crazy amount of stuff.

Tons of mics, sound treatments in our house, it’s overwhelming. :(

I just wanna look at something and be like, oh that’s already plugged in and go! - or with a few mouse clicks be ready to create.

I’m stuck here alone, might as well make use of all this stuff!

(and ty!)

Well basically you either choose a small interface like the one I linked to and you have to connect the instrument you want to record before you can record it, or you need to have everything connected at all times to a larger interface with more inputs so that you can just turn it on and start recording without having to worry about cables, but that is more expensive and is a bit more work to set up ahead.

Also worth mentioning, though pedantic, that you'll have some amount of latency no matter what… if you're just getting started, I'm not sure I'd bother with anything UA to start. Could be overkill, particularly on the wallet. Granted, my first interface was a FireWire Duet, but then it didn't come with DSP.

• 2 weeks later...

New wrinkle in the workflow! :)

So my father handed down a teac A-2340R, it’s in good shape, so I played around with it and like the results even with a cheap little 1/4” microphone.

Can’t bounce down tracks tho. :(

I’ll be getting my UA TwinX Quad in a few weeks, but I’m thinking is that the right solution or move up to 4 inputs on the Apollo x4?

Here’s my prolly lame idea, I’d like to be able to track into that old recorder, like 2 microphones and have those simultaneously be captured in Logic.

Also I’m kinda doing it for my Dad cause he’s all excited about using the recorder he used for his band waaaay back.

Also might be kinda cool to use the tape machine as an inserted effect on whatever channel/bus I want.

I know it can be done, I just don’t know how and the best UA product for the job.

Dealing with tape recorders becomes an exercise in patience.

There's no Undo function and you have to do everything in real-time, and depending on the tape speed and tape width, the recording quality is not that great, plus the hiss it generates.

You need to see what type of output connectors it has so you can go into the line inputs of your interface and check the levels you get in Logic.

Regarding your interface, if you want to experiment with sending signal out to hardware and back into Logic, it's always better to have more than 2 outputs on the interface.

I wouldn't bother with the Teac either.. if you really want you could record in Logic, arrange, edit and mix, and then record your mix on the Teac, see if you enjoy the sound of that? But mostly I find that you'll increase your creativity and workflow if you keep things simple, the least amount of devices hooked up together, the least amount of things to set up to get going etc. A Mac, Logic and an audio interface give you exactly that.