Samsung t5 formatting?

kerochan

Hi Everyone

I have managed to do it, I formatted my new Samsung T5 by myself!

Done! I cant believe I have actually done it! a huge achievement for me, as many of you on here will be aware.

It is a dream to have a silent drive, amazing! all working great.

I will say/ask though, many people have said that the T5 is really fast, really fast at what exactly? copying files to and opening files? its just the same as my Gtech mains powered spinning drives, no faster at all tbh

Its silent thats the main thing.

Great! Good to hear. Don't you feel empowered? :D

It's really fast at reading and writing data. You'll see a different mostly when reading data, so let's say that for example you have a Logic project file stored on that drive and you open it, it may be faster to open than if it's stored on a spinning drive.

Great! Good to hear. Don't you feel empowered? :D

It's really fast at reading and writing data. You'll see a different mostly when reading data, so let's say that for example you have a Logic project file stored on that drive and you open it, it may be faster to open than if it's stored on a spinning drive.

Thanks David, its marginally faster than my G Tech mains powered spinning drive, still quite slow though tbh, I just timed how long it takes to open the same Logic project,

G tech powered drive = 38 seconds

T5= 25 seconds

Is this the expected speed!? though I am not really bothered about the speed really, I just like the silence

Thats the time to open Logic AND the project

Ok, so keep in mind that you're timing the time it takes to open Logic which is still on your old spinning drive and adding the time it takes to open your project which is either on the old spinning drive or on the new T5, so you really can't conclude anything from that comparison.

Try opening Logic Pro without any project open in Logic, then comparing the time it takes to open only the Logic project file, first on the spinning drive, then on the SSD?

Good you plucked up the courage to do the formatting! Did you go for APFS?

Ive found my T5s are pretty fast all round and yes quiet! and I haven't reformatted to APFS yet. The only external HDDs I have are 7200rpm but USB2 and the T5s are of course a lot faster. What is the speed of your USB ports? Also since its early days for you, you might like to take into consideration that SSDs dramatically slow down if they get too full. I plan to have no less than 25% free on mine.

Thats the time to open Logic AND the project

Ok, so keep in mind that you're timing the time it takes to open Logic which is still on your old spinning drive and adding the time it takes to open your project which is either on the old spinning drive or on the new T5, so you really can't conclude anything from that comparison.

Try opening Logic Pro without any project open in Logic, then comparing the time it takes to open only the Logic project file, first on the spinning drive, then on the SSD?

just done: with same project with Logic already open

T5= 30 secs

G tech mains spinning drive= 50 secs

G tech bus powered spinning drive 32 seconds

Good you plucked up the courage to do the formatting! Did you go for APFS?

Ive found my T5s are pretty fast all round and yes quiet! and I haven't reformatted to APFS yet. The only external HDDs I have are 7200rpm but USB2 and the T5s are of course a lot faster. What is the speed of your USB ports? Also since its early days for you, you might like to take into consideration that SSDs dramatically slow down if they get too full. I plan to have no less than 25% free on mine.

Thank you! no I went for MAc Os journaled, as i am on El Capitan.

I am using a 2015 Macbook Pro, which has USB 3 ports I guess? , and a G tech 3tb 7200 mains powered drive, with more than 2.5 TB left on it.

also a 7200 rpm G tech bus powered drive the g tech bus powered drive is almost identical speed to the T5 speed

@cherochan, if your internal drive is a HDD that will make a difference as apposed to an SSD. Check the speed of your USB ports. Should tell you in "about this Mac". The T5s support USB 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps) - and have up to 540MB/s transfer speed. My USB ports are USB 3.1 Gen2 as well so they seem to run really well although I've never run any benchmarks.

What could make a difference as well, is what else is attached to your computer. Im not totally clear on this but Im pretty sure USB ports share a bus. The best way to test the T5 if possible is to just have that attached.

@cherochan, if your internal drive is a HDD that will make a difference as apposed to an SSD. Check the speed of your USB ports. Should tell you in "about this Mac". The T5s support USB 3.1 Gen2 (10Gbps) - and have up to 540MB/s transfer speed. My USB ports are USB 3.1 Gen2 as well so they seem to run really well although I've never run any benchmarks.

What could make a difference as well, is what else is attached to your computer. Im not totally clear on this but Im pretty sure USB ports share a bus. The best way to test the T5 if possible is to just have that attached.

Thank you.

I tried with ONLY the T5 connected, takes the same time to open. My ports are USB 3.0, and my internal drive is Flash storage.

OK, pretty sure USB 3.0 is 5Gbps, so that will have a bearing on your transfer speeds.

I think there's still a place for HDDs and I'm looking for a powered USB3 7200rpm for general backups and they're getting more difficult to find where I am.

Ah thats a shame, though the drive is lovely and silent!

I use a powered USB 3 7200 RPM G tech drive, that takes 20 seconds longer to open Logic projects than my G tech 7200rpm bus powered drive! anyways, not the end of the world, though I really thought the SSD would be faster! and its just the same as my bus powered 7200rpm drive.

I wouldn't worry about it. Disk speed isn't all about throughput, it's about access time etc.. it's more complex than it may appear at first and I'm sure you'll enjoy some of the benefits of having an SSD vs a HDD, even if not all.

yep, ya right David, the silence for me is paramount anyways.

I will use the 2 spinning drives I have as back ups.

I am pleased I bought it, cheap also! cheers for the pointers.

i'm far more interested in how logic runs, how my projects behave, than how long a project takes to open. my imac drive is an SSD, my external 'archived projects' drive is 5400rpm, and i find i can work on projects from either drive, and the experience is the same; once the project loads into ram, that's the space that matters most.

Hi @kerochan,

As David says there's more to this than meets the eye but certainly all is not lost. If you do get a new computer think of it as a little future proofing, but really, these drives are cheap compared to their later T7 cousins and as we've already said, quiet. I'm going to use mine for samples and where data doesn't change too much, plus keep plenty of free space. Those HDDs you have will still be really useful as they operate totally different to an SSD and don't have things like wear levelling, trim and garbage collection to deal with, which the Mac OS perfectly deals with on internal SSDs but apparently not on externals, or reportedly not USB externals.

Hi @kerochan,

As David says there's more to this than meets the eye but certainly all is not lost. If you do get a new computer think of it as a little future proofing, but really, these drives are cheap compared to their later T7 cousins and as we've already said, quiet. I'm going to use mine for samples and where data doesn't change too much, plus keep plenty of free space. Those HDDs you have will still be really useful as they operate totally different to an SSD and don't have things like wear levelling, trim and garbage collection to deal with, which the Mac OS perfectly deals with on internal SSDs but apparently not on externals, or reportedly not USB externals.

Thanks Dynamic_Notes

I am really pleased I bought it tbh.

And yes, I will be getting a new computer eventually, so all good.

Using an SSD for just projects will give the least amount of speed improvement.

What will really speed up everything: your OS + programs on SSD. NVME is best.

Then, SSD/NVME for (sample) libraries. I can load a big sampled instrument in more or less the same time as it takes to insert a VI synth.

I don't miss the times I had to wait for minutes to load a sampled piano, only to decide an organ might fit the track better.

Last, ssd for projects/data.

I only use noisy/hot/vulnerable HD's for backups. Switch them on, do the backup, switch them off. Ah. Silence.

Every once in a while I check the HD clone of my boot NVME by booting from it. HD's are really really slow for nowadays standards.... Like 10 times as slow for OS use. I normally boot in 10 seconds or so, but with an HD it will take 2 minutes...

A musician friend of mine still has an iMac(5-6 years old) with a 5400rpm HD drive. It's so slow that is seems broken. But it is not. Remarkably, he still manages to write and record songs at breakneck speed using Logic...