editing expression in step editor

Thorny

I have a piece I have already written and I would like to start editing the expression for each note. I set expression to 84 in the VSL instrument. In the automation window for Score editor, I see a blue line for everything set at 84. When I create a lane set and add an expression lane, I see nothing for the entire lane. How does it get populated with steps set at 84?

Am I really missing a point here? I saw that the pre-existing velocity notes all show up in steps. I was assuming that I would see steps already populated across all the existing notes all set at 84.

Could you please clarify what you mean exactly by expression.

In MIDI term, Expression is defined by CC#11 events.

OTOH, velocity isn't a distinct event (like Expression) but an integrated part of a MIDI note event.

MIDI notes and Expression (CC#11) are (totally) different (independent) MIDI events.

Also the number '84' you mention could apply to a MIDI note event (C7)...

In Logic, both (MIDI Note's velocity, and, Expression CC#11) could be displayed...

Sorry, I mean expression as cc11. I see a cc11 event with a value of 84 as the first event in the event editor for voice selected in score editor, and I see a line at 84 in the expression automation for that voice. When I created an expression lane In a new set in the step editor, I expected to see it populated with steps for all the notes in that voice all at the same level. That lane is blank.

When I created an expression lane In a new set in the step editor, I expected to see it populated with steps for all the notes in that voice all at the same level. That lane is blank.

It's not clear how you created Expression data, if any? If you've clicked in the Automation area at the beginning of the region in the Score editor or Piano Roll, and see a horizontal, solid blue line, then you have.

An automation curve is just a graphic visual representation of the automation value at any point in time. What's behind the hood is different though. Just like a MIDI note is represented graphically by a horizontal beam that has a certain duration, but in reality it's a punctual event at the start of the note (MIDI Note On) and another punctual even at the end of the note (MIDI Note Off). A horizontal automation curve is in reality a single automation point that defines a value at a certain point in time. Because that value is held until another value is produced, there is no other automation point created.

So what you're seeing is normal. There should not be an automation point or MIDI CC value sent for every single note, so you should not see one in the Step Editor for each individual MIDI note.

I had clicked on the expression and gotten the blue line and a cc11 event in the event list. I hadn't noticed that it put one step at the beginning of the expression lane. I can certainly draw out all of the steps for that region and vary them, but I can't see how to relate that to individual notes. In a velocity lane the note highlights when I click on it, but I understand that velocity is an attribute of a single note.

Is there another good way to draw the expression of each note that to do it in the automation window? I find dealing with those dots to be very flaky, meaning when I think I have gotten the dots right for a note, I seem to miss it. Using the step editor with a very small step seemed like and easier way of doing it, but apparently not!

An individual note does not have its own expression. Expression is not an attribute of the note but a controller for the instrument. It can vary at any point in time but the value at any point in time will apply to all the notes the instrument plays.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do, musically speaking? What type of instrument, what type of performance, what type of result are you trying to achieve?

First of all, let me say that I really appreciate your tolerance! I am learning as I go to do this as I study composing. I am not a performer and not interested in that at all.

In this case, I am working with VSL wind and string instruments and I would like to be able to shape the expression (which seems to just mean another volume control in VSL) and pitch for individual notes. I already am pretty comfortable working with velocity. I don't want to perform this using a midi controller, i want to sculpt it in a logic editor of some kind.

What got me going on this, though, is thinking about getting AudioModeling SWAM instruments. it seems that everything with those depends on CC editing instead of using so many articualations, like in VSL.

No, I have already edited the velocity for the whole part and gotten it pretty much to where I want the general dynamics. What I want mostly, it to vary the character of long notes, like bending the pitch and varying the volume within the span of that one note. Velocity is one value for the whole note. When I was a flute player, i could do this with breath and by uncovering the holes in the keys....

Ok then it depends on the instrument, for example if you play a piano chord then all the notes of the chord will have the same expression. If you have a note sustaining while you play a new one, raising the expression of the new note will also raise the volume of the sustain tail of the previous note.

If it's flute though, or an instrument where you never have two notes sounding at the same time, then you can just draw the Expression curve in the Piano Rolll:

adjust-expression.gif.9aa986e83567b61dfc52179d9a6771a6.gif

Thanks. I did know how to do that and it appears that is my best option. I find working with it to be a bit difficult. I just need to get used to it, I guess. Thanks for all your help.

You're welcome. If you detail what you find difficult and how you wish it were working perhaps we can suggest a workflow. I showed two workflows in my previous screen capture (creating points and letting Logic join then with straight lines, or free-drawing with the pencil tool), so I'm not sure what else you wish it could do?

A common workflow is to record expression (CC#11 events) in realtime using a modwheel (or another MIDI controller such as a breath controller) while listening to the performance to modulate.

Once the expression recording (part) is completed, edit manually as needed.

IMHO, that is a way faster and easier method to achieve a more natural performance than drawing manually, one by one, the expression events...