If you could have only ONE paid 3rd party plugin...

in.name.only

It’s my birthday coming up and I’ve asked everyone for money to buy a plugin. I’m generally happy with all the synths and production plugins I’ve got. So I’m thinking mixing/mastering and in the £150/$200 range, if you could only have one plugin what would it be?

:D Now you're just going to get a list of plug-ins rather than the one recommendation. Everyone's got their favourites.

Haha yes. I was thinking there might be a pattern but perhaps not. I watch quite a lot of mixing videos and whilst they each have their favourite delays, reverbs and compression plugins it’s amazing that they pretty much all used FabFilter for dynamic EQ. And now someone here has mentioned Melda’s dynamic EQ!

I’ll probably just end up with socks like every other birthday :D

:D Now you're just going to get a list of plug-ins rather than the one recommendation. Everyone's got their favourites.

Haha yes. I was thinking there might be a pattern but perhaps not. I watch quite a lot of mixing videos and whilst they each have their favourite delays, reverbs and compression plugins it’s amazing that they pretty much all used FabFilter for dynamic EQ. And now someone here has mentioned Melda’s dynamic EQ!

I’ll probably just end up with socks like every other birthday :D

just make sure the socks come in AU, & are 64-bit...

My vote would be - the Plugin Alliance Mix/Master bundle for a year ($150/year, with $200 voucher back). You can use all the cool plugins for a year (about 90 premium plugins in that bundle), and buy the ones you fall in love with permanently in the frequent Megasales with that $200 voucher (you should be able to pick up 3-10 plugins with that during a sale, depending on what you want...)

Some great great stuff in there, including SSL console emulations, mastering compressors, saturation plugins and much more, many of which are a great addition to Logic's tools as Logic doesn't have much in the way of those things...

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/pa-mix-master-bundle-yearly.html

(There's also a pay monthly version, but you don't get the $200 voucher back until you've completed the year...)

• 2 weeks later...

Some really helpful stuff on here, thanks folks. Regarding Izotope, Plugin Boutique are currently doing a crossgrade for Izotope’s basic and also advanced mixing/mastering bundles. So, if you already have a paid Izotope plugin you can buy Ozone 9 Advanced, Neutron 3 Advanced and Nectar 3 Plus (usual price if bough separately £990, usual price for bundle £633) for £171.

I’ve already got Ozone Elements for free and I thought it was pretty good. I’d previously bought Stutter Edit so I’m pretty sure I qualify. I’m definitely considering it. I suppose it’s cheating a bit as far as mastering is concerned but everyone seems to rate them and it’ll mean I can spend more time on production.

And it’s better than £171 worth of socks!

Get something that Logic does not do well. For me it was a guitar amp emulation with good high gain amps. Logic has fantastic amps and pedals for clean and crunch sounds but not good at high gain amp solo sounds. I ended up with Bias FX2.