How to record on a midi track while viewing other tracks midi

wonderlover

Often I'll record a temp midi drum track and then a temp bass gtr track.

I like to view the kick drum midi data while I'm doing bass so I can see rhythms.

Is there a way to have the piano roll or other window show the data of another track whilst recording midi onto another desired track?

Try the folowing:

1. 1-
Opening the Piano roll window (as a separate one from the main window), selecting the desired reference (prerecorded) track to have it displayed its content (in the separate Piano Roll window).

2- Then, from that separate Piano Roll window's local View menu, disable the Link option.
That way, whatever track you will therefore select, will not change the current separate Piano Roll window display.
That separate Piano Roll window will keep showing the desired reference (prerecorded) track content, you had previously selected in step 1.

3- You will likely need to resize the main window in order to keep the separate Piano Roll window visible (not getting hidden by the main window when clicking on the latter's while selecting a different track).

4- Now you can record new tracks while keeping in sight the separate Piano Roll window (displayng your reference track data).

5- Using projects' templates and/or screensets could ease your workflow for future use.

@ Atlas007 - That is the advice I would have given the OP too.

However, I find that my version of LOGIC X doesn't manage that scenario. It seems buggy.

E.G Scenario: Two tracks Violin and Dbl Bass.

I have a separate piano roll window open - violin. All window links are off.

Select Instrument track to record Dbl Bass. Separate Piano Roll window retains focus on Violin.

Hit record and Piano Roll window displays notes I am recording taking focus from violin register and hiding the pre-recorded notes I want to follow.

The new recording is on a separate track - but piano Roll displays the input like an overprint in the open Piano Roll window until I hit 'Stop' - at which point Piano Roll window returns to original display of the violin and I have a new separate track with Dbl Bass notes.

This means that a separate Piano Roll window unlinked is only useful if recording notes in the same range.

Can you confirm if this is the behaviour you see?

@ Atlas007

Thanks for the reply -

Anytime!

So the Piano Roll scenario works fine in LOGIC X.6?

Yes! So far so good.

I do have a work around for the issue in LOGIC X.4 by using a separate Score Window for the guide track rather than the Piano Roll.

Thanx for sharing your experience!

Try the folowing:

1. 1-
Opening the Piano roll window (as a separate one from the main window), selecting the desired reference (prerecorded) track to have it displayed its content (in the separate Piano Roll window).

2- Then, from that separate Piano Roll window's local View menu, disable the Link option.
That way, whatever track you will therefore select, will not change the current separate Piano Roll window display.
That separate Piano Roll window will keep showing the desired reference (prerecorded) track content, you had previously selected in step 1.

3- You will likely need to resize the main window in order to keep the separate Piano Roll window visible (not getting hidden by the main window when clicking on the latter's while selecting a different track).

4- Now you can record new tracks while keeping in sight the separate Piano Roll window (displayng your reference track data).

5- Using projects' templates and/or screensets could ease your workflow for future use.

Thank you.

I need to look up what that LINK button does.

I really only ever use Capture Recording mode (aside from the times I'm recording actual audio, of course) and I simply turn Link off and use the Score pane in the Tracks window. I don't even bother with opening a new window, much less dedicating a screenset to that kind of layout. I've been using this method for at least a year… it can be finicky at times, but it works pretty routinely for me…

I like to view the kick drum midi data while I'm doing bass so I can see rhythms.

Is there a way to have the piano roll or other window show the data of another track whilst recording midi onto another desired track?

Why don't you just zoom the track.

ZoomTrack.thumb.png.08aa7ba8c05953f09b2e65f18c773bf1.png

Why don't you just zoom the track.

ZoomTrack.png

Good idea but it doesn't give me the detail that I need. :)

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:36 AM, hmowday said:

Another quick way that I tend to use (As I like having the windows linked) is to just hit play and play along then "Capture Recording After"......I too will look at the notation view whilst recording down another part.

yes, this is the way. I am so thankful for this feature, otherwise it would suck so much to play over parts in score

• Like 1