How long do you all leave Logic and Mac going.

Dynamic_Notes

I know everyone's preference will probably differ according to how you've set things up but I'm interested. What are your reasons for doing what you do?

Just me - I tend to close Logic if I'm not going to be working for a while and sometimes the computer if I know I wont be using it for some hours. I always close down at the days end.

I don't turn off my iMac. I have been known to leave Logic up for days, but find that my USB devices get wonky sometimes - so I have to quit Logic and power cycle my X-Touch - I have started powering down the X-Touch since I am working on my laptop a fair bit, not in the studio.

My quick-record template is what is sitting there - an armed audio track, an armed software instrument, and an armed external MIDI track.

I always close Logic unless taking a short break (under a half hour). If I know I won't be coming back for a while, I also power down my interface and controller.

My iMac is 10 years old, with the factory HDD it took over 3 minutes to boot and open Logic. So I set the Energy Saver scheduler to power up every morning at 7AM and shut down at 10PM. That way it would always be ready to go, but it meant that on days where I did nothing on the machine I was wasting electricity.

Last year, I switched to booting off an external SSD which reduced boot time to 30 seconds and Logic opened in 15 seconds or less (I have small projects) so now I power the machine up and down as needed.

i used to experience buggy behavior if i left a logic project open and slept my mac; this no longer seems to happen. but, out of habit, i generally save my work, & quit logic, before sleeping my mac. and if i don't, all seems well anyway. i also reboot periodically, just to 'flush' the ram, and get a clean start.

i think, barring any issues, one's workflow should be... whatever works for you, and there's no 'one size fits all'.

Hi all,

Thanks guys for your interesting comments!

As I said, everyones situations are likely different, which why it's interesting and theres always stuff to learn from others' experiences. Ive seen lots of comments about reloading logic as a potential fix for many issues. I guess I assumed people just naturally closed it, well at least at days end.

What are your thoughts on leaving a project idle but with the CPU bouncing around as shown in the performance meter? Depending on what project I have up, with the transport stopped the processor can be still be quite active. If I just close the project but not Logic, Logic can still show that same activity going on (the [floating] performance meter still shows even if you close a project). If I load an empty project that takes all the activity to zero. If Im away for an hour or so I'll sometimes do that.

Unlike in the days of my G4, things load here exceptionally quick, but then at this point I only run stock Logic stuff with no 3rd party installs except Focusrite driver. Since I live in an area (rural) where power can be very dodgy (nasty brownouts etc) I use an UPS reliant on manual shutdown. It makes sense to power down at night and when I go out.