Upgraded to 128gb of RAM and 12 Core

Melodyman1

Seems that the plug-ins that give me the most problem is the Waves Abbey Road Plates and the Wave EVOX. I feel I'm asking for too much just because I have so much RAM/Cores. I really thought I would have no overload at 64buffer and a bunch plug-ins and no delay. I was a bit confused when I only saw one thread going through the roof..lol I'm just surprised I don't see much of a difference and for Dewdman42 I don't know what CPU I'm using.

Seems that the plug-ins that give me the most problem is the Waves Abbey Road Plates and the Wave EVOX. I feel I'm asking for too much just because I have so much RAM/Cores. I really thought I would have no overload at 64buffer and a bunch plug-ins and no delay. I was a bit confused when I only saw one thread going through the roof..lol I'm just surprised I don't see much of a difference and for Dewdman42 I don't know what CPU I'm using.

One thread going through the roof...your CPU's single core performance most likely is weak. RAM is important, but if you use hungry third party plugins, CPU performance is most important for you. On the other hand a few very hungry third party plugins/instruments on a single channel strip can bring any CPU to its knees.

One thread going through the roof...your CPU's single core performance most likely is weak. RAM is important, but if you use hungry third party plugins, CPU performance is most important for you. On the other hand a few very hungry third party plugins/instruments on a single channel strip can bring any CPU to its knees.

Wow! That sucks! So I have to upgrade my CPU then. I have to look into that and get that done asap.

My answer is rather boring,.......BUT I remember when I had some dodgy RAM it affected my CPU spikes.

Not sure of your machine, but try going through the laborious process of taking out ALL your ram and slowly filling the slots up. Give it a go! Assume of course you are also using the correct "Processing threads" in the Devices Preferences (Set it to AUTO works fine)

My answer is rather boring,.......BUT I remember when I had some dodgy RAM it affected my CPU spikes.

Not sure of your machine, but try going through the laborious process of taking out ALL your ram and slowly filling the slots up. Give it a go! Assume of course you are also using the correct "Processing threads" in the Devices Preferences (Set it to AUTO works fine)

No answer is boring my friend when I'm asking for help. Actually all my slots are filled already and the settings confuses me as well, as far as knowing what is better between choosing a thread number (8, 12, 24 etc) or set to automatic? Funny how I don't see too much information about that anywhere. I have it set to 24 thinking Logic would utilize all 24 thread.

Your issue is almost certainly related to live mode which piles all plugins of the signal path you are recording to onto a single core

Also make sure to create a dummy track and reassign it to NO OUTPUT, always select that before hitting play unless you’re recording into a track

mechanical hard drive or SSD? what mac? and what version of logic, what OS? try resetting the nvram, the smc for your mac (google for instructions).

so many variables; a a damaged mechanical drive can affect this. the OS... try running disk first aid.

hard to diagnose from a distance, but lots of useful info on this thread....

Your issue is almost certainly related to live mode which piles all plugins of the signal path you are recording to onto a single core

Also make sure to create a dummy track and reassign it to NO OUTPUT, always select that before hitting play unless you’re recording into a track

Very true about the live mode and I feel I'm asking for too much when asking for Logic to be at 64 buffer and keep all my plugins/virtual instruments active while recording vocals/live instruments with no overload. Makes me wonder what the hell is the point of having 128gb of RAM then..lol. Not sure what you mean about creating a dummy track and reassign it to NO OUTPUT?

mechanical hard drive or SSD? what mac? and what version of logic, what OS? try resetting the nvram, the smc for your mac (google for instructions).

so many variables; a a damaged mechanical drive can affect this. the OS... try running disk first aid.

hard to diagnose from a distance, but lots of useful info on this thread....

Mechanical hard drive, Logic 10.8.4, 2 x 3.33ghz 6 core, High Sierra and I did reset the nvram. I'll try to disk first aid as well.

The ram is not related here frankly. If you use a lot of sample instruments for full orch work you might appreciate it but anyway unless the ram is faulty in some way it’s not an issue and that would be one of the last things I would check. Piling a bunch of plugins through one core at buffer 64 is the problem. LLM doesn’t disable cpu hungry plugins it disables plugins with long latency, there is a very big difference.

Use low cpu plugins while tracking and you should be fine. You can save channel presets to make it easier to load lite set in for tracking and bitchin’ sounding set for mixing. Yea it would be great to hear Abby rhoads plates while singing in a part, for example but you’re asking the Mac to do a lot on one core if you have a few of those in a track while recording. So use lighter plugins while tracking. You can invest in external hardware. Keep in mind that if you were using external analog gear that matches all your bitchin plugins you would be into it for tens of thousands of dollars. Appreciate what you can do on your Mac with a little bit of working around latency and cpu issues.

The ram is not related here frankly. If you use a lot of sample instruments for full orch work you might appreciate it but anyway unless the ram is faulty in some way it’s not an issue and that would be one of the last things I would check. Piling a bunch of plugins through one core at buffer 64 is the problem. LLM doesn’t disable cpu hungry plugins it disables plugins with long latency, there is a very big difference.

Use low cpu plugins while tracking and you should be fine. You can save channel presets to make it easier to load lite set in for tracking and bitchin’ sounding set for mixing. Yea it would be great to hear Abby rhoads plates while singing in a part, for example but you’re asking the Mac to do a lot on one core if you have a few of those in a track while recording. So use lighter plugins while tracking. You can invest in external hardware. Keep in mind that if you were using external analog gear that matches all your bitchin plugins you would be into it for tens of thousands of dollars. Appreciate what you can do on your Mac with a little bit of working around latency and cpu issues.

Totally understand brother but I just thought upgrading to a more powerful mac would enable me to do more since I have more and trust me I def appreciate todays technology coming from a band era and also being in a band. Just like if I buy a car that has 250hp and I buy another that has 450hp I would expect that run to move faster lol. I'll just use less CPU intensive plug-ins.

You can still use the big plugins on mixdown no problem with 12 cores. It’s only a factor for the live channel you are recordings. Your 3.33ghz is not much less then what I have and I can mix a lot of stuff no problem. I haven’t come across an instrument plugin yet that it can’t handle for recording on one core but it might need to use bigger buffer sometimes

Our cpus are no means the latest and greatest single core performance if you want that then get i9 or the new Mac Pro. They have maybe double the single core performance, especially the i9.

It’s just a reality if computer based audio that we have to deal with cpu, particularly while recording stuff in. And that usually leads to enlarging the buffer and then you start getting into the question of managing latency. This is part of daw computing since the beginning and will be for quite some time though a 10,000 dollar new macpro probably minimizes some of those hassles

For the dummy track, create an external midi track, then right click on it and choose reassign from the pop up menu. Under reassign you’ll see a bunch of submenus for various environment objects but there is one menu item called NO OUTPUT. Choose that.

You’ll then have a track that is not assigned to any mixer channel at all.

Select that track BEFORE PRESSING PLAY, and then you’ll be sure that no mixer channels with plugins will be isolated to a single file core since that non functioning track will be the one in live mode.

This is a common logicpro trick used by many.

For the dummy track, create an external midi track, then right click on it and choose reassign from the pop up menu. Under reassign you’ll see a bunch of submenus for various environment objects but there is one menu item called NO OUTPUT. Choose that.

You’ll then have a track that is not assigned to any mixer channel at all.

Select that track BEFORE PRESSING PLAY, and then you’ll be sure that no mixer channels with plugins will be isolated to a single file core since that non functioning track will be the one in live mode.

This is a common logicpro trick used by many.

Wow! Never heard of this but can't wait to try it.

You can still use the big plugins on mixdown no problem with 12 cores. It’s only a factor for the live channel you are recordings. Your 3.33ghz is not much less then what I have and I can mix a lot of stuff no problem. I haven’t come across an instrument plugin yet that it can’t handle for recording on one core but it might need to use bigger buffer sometimes

Our cpus are no means the latest and greatest single core performance if you want that then get i9 or the new Mac Pro. They have maybe double the single core performance, especially the i9.

It’s just a reality if computer based audio that we have to deal with cpu, particularly while recording stuff in. And that usually leads to enlarging the buffer and then you start getting into the question of managing latency. This is part of daw computing since the beginning and will be for quite some time though a 10,000 dollar new macpro probably minimizes some of those hassles

Try the M1 Mac Mini, with 16BG RAM. You might be amazed! ;)

Dirt cheap for the power. You can always return it within two weeks. It has amazing single core performance which seems like what you need.

So sorry to hear of your problems, what a nightmare. I have no problems with 3rd party UA plug ins causing overloading on a 2010 Macbook Pro with 2GB RAM! I know this doesn't really help, but just saying. Its not my main computer, but I have no problems with Logic on it unless its a really big project. Good luck !

Hello Logic family and hope all is doing well.

I upgraded to 128gb of RAM and with 12 Core and I'm still getting overload like I used to. Can anyone tell me why?

I was expecting never see overload again..lol

Thank you in advance.

This is a process called optimizing your system for better performance.

Everyone has a different setup so what may work with one, might not work with your setup.

Here's some Apple Knowledge Based articles to get you started.

Tips for balancing multi-core performance

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201838

In the image above, there is still a very heavy load on a single core, even though it's using the routing described above. Notice the Inst 1 channel strip is selected. When a Software Instrument track is selected in the Arrange window, Logic enters "Live Input Mode". In this mode, Logic turns on every plug-in in the channel strip's signal path so the channel strip can be played live from a MIDI controller. All of this must be handled by a single thread and therefore just one core. It's a good idea to keep a track that uses an Audio channel strip selected in the Arrange window, unless you're actively playing or recording to a Software Instrument.

The above documented step from Apple talks about selecting an empty track on playback to avoid a high single core.

This video shows that it works.

Also note that presets within a Audio Unit InstrumentEffect can run a CPU high as well.

Avoid system overloads in Logic Pro

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203930

Yeah a 64 buffer is really asking for alot on a CPU intensive plugin like AR Plates. It was never really designed for live use well, at least the way Logic handles it. Anything audio track that is input or record enabled or any instrument that is currently selected gets loaded on Logic's live thread. Its a technique that Apple uses to keep latency down while performing and tracking and works quite well too. Up unto the point you try to load to much on to the thread. It doesnt even have to be on the track and question, any effect placed on a summing buss, or a send will also get loaded onto the live thread. As you can imagine, this can lead you to running out of CPU power the more you stack on.

Logic does have a way to spread the load across multiple threads, so that may help. But really a buffer of 64 is giving these really complicated plugins almost time to do any calculations in. It works fine for basic eq and compression, but its the time based effects such as Abbey Road Plates or anything that manipulates pitch that requires more "time based" information for them to be able to the job properly. This is more a limitation of real world physics and applied mathematics than it is an algorithm design.