A loop in time

marklcfc

One thing I've wondered for a while is how to create a guitar piece in logic (one that is possibly hard to play over and over), and then be able to extend the track but for it to still all be in time. Whenever I try this and extend the track, it is never in time with the original.There is always an extended gap between the 1st loop and 2nd loop. I've noticed others do this with ease but whenever I try it it doesn't work, I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

loop.png

It's hard to see since you chose to leave all points of reference out of the picture, but I guess that your first note is not in time. It may be a pickup note which might work despite not being in time. If so, cut the region at the start of the second phrase and then extend its length to the repetition of that second phrase, making sure the Region borders are on the exact same positions in a bar. Now loop that second Region.

Indeed without more musical references, either audible or visual, it's hard to tell what's going on for that screenshot alone. A screenshot that is zoomed in vertically, with the ruler visible, would help, but it may still not be possible for us to tell.

What you want is first make sure that your region loops properly. You can select the region, and press Command-U to set your locators to match the region. Then playback in Cycle mode. If that doesn't sound good then it won't sound good when you loop that region. Now try to adjust the length of the region, and keep pressing Command-U to update your cycle area.

One thing I've wondered for a while is how to create a guitar piece in logic (one that is possibly hard to play over and over), and then be able to extend the track but for it to still all be in time. Whenever I try this and extend the track, it is never in time with the original.There is always an extended gap between the 1st loop and 2nd loop. I've noticed others do this with ease but whenever I try it it doesn't work, I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

loop.png

To create a proper loop, you need to record in the full bar(s).

The top loop shows recording the full 2 bars, the bottom loop shows almost filling 2 bars.

Using the loop in Logic, you'll hear the bottom loop go out of sync just before the 2 second loop starts.

You either have to re-record or copy each region as shown in this video.

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't playing with a click or setting the bpm, is that where I have been going wrong?

Yes. That will never loop perfectly then. there’s a way around it though: you can play freely and use logic‘s new smart tempo. Basically what it does it will create a tempo track for you and it does a pretty good job following your performance and you will be able to loop your performance as long as it’s in bars and measures. Other possibility: are you not playing in 4/4? Is your music in a different time signature maybe? 12/8? Etc?

Yes. That will never loop perfectly then.

You can loop perfectly something that wasn't recorded to the right BPM, or wasn't recorded to a click, even something that has a rubato feel. I do it all the time. See my suggestion earlier in this thread. ;)

You are right David, but if the music does not adhere to some kind of tempo information it will sound off no? Otherwise it is really hard to find a satisfying loop point.

Let alone trying to get the drummer play along with it. :) or maybe I am just locked into tempo. I am a tempo guy.

You can loop perfectly something that wasn't recorded to the right BPM, or wasn't recorded to a click, even something that has a rubato feel. I do it all the time. See my suggestion earlier in this thread. ;)

You are right David, but if the music does not adhere to some kind of tempo information it will sound off no? Otherwise it is really hard to find a satisfying loop point.

Let alone trying to get the drummer play along with it. :) or maybe I am just locked into tempo. I am a tempo guy.

No, it won't sound off, you will just have to end up detecting its tempo if you intend to use the grid in Logic. But a 120 bpm loop in a 86 bpm project will sound fine as long as you turn off the click.

I once played with someone that came up with weird musical ideas. These ideas never followed tempo or bars and measures. He insisted that the band can play it but it was really hard. At the end he went home and programmed everything together how it should be played but then at the end he realized it was not satisfying for the listener. I fell into this trap in my early musical days as well then I realized most likely music has to be in bars and measures to be satisfying. even if there is an area within a song where some notes just hangs a few measures etc. eventually it will come back to some kind of structure.

At the end I’m still not a very good musician I just love music. We learn ‘til death.

No, it won't sound off, you will just have to end up detecting its tempo if you intend to use the grid in Logic. But a 120 bpm loop in a 86 bpm project will sound fine as long as you turn off the click.

How do you do a thumbs up on an iPhone? :)

I once played with someone that came up with weird musical ideas. These ideas never followed tempo or bars and measures. He insisted that the band can play it but it was really hard. At the end he went home and programmed everything together how it should be played but then at the end he realized it was not satisfying for the listener.

You did just perfectly describe Frank Zappa. Coincidence ?

I once played with someone that came up with weird musical ideas. These ideas never followed tempo or bars and measures. He insisted that the band can play it but it was really hard. At the end he went home and programmed everything together how it should be played but then at the end he realized it was not satisfying for the listener.

You did just perfectly describe Frank Zappa. Coincidence ?

LOL maybe shameful but i don't know Zappa's music. Will look it up now.