Play DMD From Everywhere

Tzabi
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello

I wanted to ask if there's is a way that my midi controller will be able to trigger samples from DMD even if i'm not selecting its channel.

I want it for a live set, to use Fx one shots like dj horns and etc. and not needing to select the DMD channel all the time.

For live (and if you don't need to record that performance) you can cable your controller straight into Drum Machine Designer, which allows you to trigger that channel wether the track is selected or not:

1. Choose Window > Open MIDI Environment.

2. At the top left click the Layer pop-up menu and choose Click and Port.

3. On the Physical Input object, Option-click the triangle for your keyboard controller and choose the Drum Machine Designer channel strip:

954550845_Environmentrouting.thumb.png.d3d1e7af0d93833bd8594883be8582ba.png

For live (and if you don't need to record that performance) you can cable your controller straight into Drum Machine Designer, which allows you to trigger that channel wether the track is selected or not:

1. Choose Window > Open MIDI Environment.

2. At the top left click the Layer pop-up menu and choose Click and Port.

3. On the Physical Input object, Option-click the triangle for your keyboard controller and choose the Drum Machine Designer channel strip:

Environment routing.png

Hi David, Thank you for replying.

I did what you've wrote, but now when I used my midi pads there is no output sound, when I select the channel strip or not.

When I open the DMD I can see the triggers triggering, but still, only when I select this channel strip, and still no sound.

Screenshot, my desired midi is that mpx16, that it looks like its routing to nowhere:

DMD-anywhere.thumb.png.93630cb5674465e1b33a4b8cf5619df4.png

Yeah, it's not possible to do it like this on summing stacks at all it seems. The midi have to "enter" the instrument(s) via the tracks (i..e. from sequencer input), doesn't work by connecting directly to channel strips in environment...

What do you mean from sequencer input?

Can I route and map the sequencer input to trigger individual DMD channels by specific midi?

I did what you've wrote, but now when I used my midi pads there is no output sound, when I select the channel strip or not.

When I open the DMD I can see the triggers triggering, but still, only when I select this channel strip, and still no sound.

Oooh :( Ok sorry for the false hope I would have thought that this would work. So then you would have to route the MIDI straight to the drum software instrument channel strips (the DMD subtracks). I suppose that would work.

Oooh :( Ok sorry for the false hope I would have thought that this would work. So then you would have to route the MIDI straight to the drum software instrument channel strips (the DMD subtracks). I suppose that would work.

Haha its fine :)

And it does work, but now it behaves like a sampler through my midi keyboard, pitching up and down depending on the note I hit and not triggering on a specific note, like DMD does.

Is there a way to route and maybe gate the DMD subtracks only for a specific midi note?

You could adjust the Key Limit parameters for each subtrack, in the Track inspector, to respond to only one single pitch.

key limit.png

lol I was sure this would work, but no.

for some odd reason it doesn't limit the sampler to a specific note, not even through the DMD itself.

Tried on a different instrument, does limit.

It really can't work since a track inspector parameter only effect the track, when cabling in the environment you are completely bypassing the tracks area and going directly to the instrument...

Actually, what Apple decided to name "Track inspector" is the good old Object inspector that you can see in the MIDI Environment. The Key Limit parameter does work at the object level, even if the MIDI signal doesn't come from the track.

1104014350_TrackvsObjectinspector.thumb.png.447dbac448f046d58cec26997a9fa213.png

It really can't work since a track inspector parameter only effect the track, when cabling in the environment you are completely bypassing the tracks area and going directly to the instrument...

Actually, what Apple decided to name "Track inspector" is the good old Object inspector that you can see in the MIDI Environment. The Key Limit parameter does work at the object level, even if the MIDI signal doesn't come from the track.

Track vs Object inspector.png

Aah, of course ! Weird that it won't work... :/

Keylimit.thumb.gif.bc2a466f6b8902633e062ecf339bc833.gif

I've wanted to do this as well, as far as I can tell there isn't exactly a simple way to do it. The way I think it will work (but I haven't taken the time to map this out in the environment) is to use either transformers or channel splitter to send each note to the specific instrument in DMD. When I get around to doing that I'll end up using a dedicated layer in the evironment to keep things tidy. It is super annoying that the devs haven't worked out a way to do this, I want to control DMD from my BeatStep Pro but that will take some work.

I guess the other workaround is to create then DMD set you like and then use Autosampler to make a single instrument out of it.

Related tip, I keep a project with nothing but my environment objects that I can import into other projects rather than having to keep repeating my efforts.

I've wanted to do this as well, as far as I can tell there isn't exactly a simple way to do it. The way I think it will work (but I haven't taken the time to map this out in the environment) is to use either transformers or channel splitter to send each note to the specific instrument in DMD. When I get around to doing that I'll end up using a dedicated layer in the evironment to keep things tidy. It is super annoying that the devs haven't worked out a way to do this, I want to control DMD from my BeatStep Pro but that will take some work.

I guess the other workaround is to create then DMD set you like and then use Autosampler to make a single instrument out of it.

Related tip, I keep a project with nothing but my environment objects that I can import into other projects rather than having to keep repeating my efforts.

Sounds a bit like ants work but I did think something like that would work.

Can you explain a bit more on how to use transformers or channel splitter to map specific notes to different instruments on DMD? Please?

• Solution

You could create a MIDI Environment where you route the input directly to the desired software instrument channel strip (the DMD subtracks) however you may need some Transformers to make sure the desired pitch is being sent to each instrument.

So basically: you can do what you want, it will however require a bit of work.

Giving this more thought and I realize that the Mapped Instrument object is perfect for this use. Have the external device wired to that object and then route the cables to each instrument. This is good because you can customize the routing for each project and leave the external controller the same.

You could create a MIDI Environment where you route the input directly to the desired software instrument channel strip (the DMD subtracks) however you may need some Transformers to make sure the desired pitch is being sent to each instrument.

So basically: you can do what you want, it will however require a bit of work.

This was a great option, 15 min of work, mapped all the DMD.

EZ.

Thank you guys!