SMPTE lock for Beat Map Markers and Time Signatures

vincentzaalberg

No problem. Yeah, it’s annoying in some senses, but I also expect that if Apple were ever to introduce the functionality, there would still be scores of people complaining because whichever process they’ve chosen to use to implement tempo or beat adjustments would not work the way people want it to. (At least, not the ones on here vocal about just that concept…) And personally as a media composer, I would never want to allow the software to decide for me where the meter or tempo will change—I just can’t imagine AI respotting a session sensibly. So I’m fine without it, but I do understand the impetus for people wanting the capability.

Haha good point Andrew.

I do see the use in smpte lock for score revisions and composing from back to front. I did find a good workaround for these purposes: copy tempo map, delete beat map, paste tempo map to previous location, lock midi into place. Now any rewrites won’t cause havoc on finished parts further down the timeline.

Hi David, just read it and yes Dewdman42 hits the nail on the head in that discussion. You're right, Logic would need a tempo buffer zone to manage one SMPTE lock point to another.

For film scoring this would be a highly sought after functionality I recon. Most composers now apparently (I had a lengthy discussion about it in a big scoring forum) dodge this situation by just keeping the tempo steady and only implement different time signatures. Which has it's perks since keeping the pulse steady means easier recording for a real orchestra as well. And making requested revisions or simply rewrites is easier that way at the moment because of beat mapping not locking to SMPTE.

This workaround I received from the composer forum is still the closest thing to a solution when you do sync to video using beat mapping. So I hope people who come looking for a solution find this:

Copy tempo map, delete beat map, paste tempo map to previous location, write down SMPTE position, move tempo map and midi to the right to make room for rewrite, when done select and move section to old SMPTE position in one go (instead of a million plus a lot of guessing where your old beat map markers were).