Internal vs external SSD for Logic Projects?

LiquidCrystal
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

There's nothing wrong with storing your projects on the internal drive, however there are things to consider:

1. You use the internal drive all the time, meaning it gets more wear and tear and may end up failing sooner than an external drive that sees less write/erase operations.

2. You need to keep a good chunk of empty space on your internal drive at all times, 25% or more if possible, for macOS and your apps to run smoothly while you're working.

2. You need to keep a good chunk of empty space on your internal drive at all times, 25% or more if possible, for macOS and your apps to run smoothly while you're working.

Thanks David, yes this is why i'm considering getting an external SSD for projects. I keep filling up my internal storage but just want to make sure it won't be any slower if running projects from an external SSD with USB-C.

I assume you back up. Always back up.

I save everything on internal and back up to external. I don’t know how easy it is to back up what’s already on an external drive.

Yes I use time machine, I'll probably need to back manually from now on I suppose which is a bit annoying.

That’s what I was thinking - it’s not quite as easy as the backup isn’t done automatically. How about storing completed projects externally and only keeping your current projects internally? Then keep the automatic Time Machine backup. That should sort out both of the points David mentioned and also make loading quicker.

That’s what I was thinking - it’s not quite as easy as the backup isn’t done automatically. How about storing completed projects externally and only keeping your current projects internally? Then keep the automatic Time Machine backup. That should sort out both of the points David mentioned and also make loading quicker.

Don't know why I didn't think of this haha. Thanks, I think your right this is probably the best way. The only problem is deciding when a project is 'completed' :wink:

Don't know why I didn't think of this haha. Thanks, I think your right this is probably the best way. The only problem is deciding when a project is 'completed' :wink:

Ah yes, that’s down to discipline. I’m probably not the best person to help you on that :P

Time Machine will backup from external drives if you want it to. I assume that you use a separate drive for Time Machine backups.

You need to go to the Time Machine preferences and check the exclusion settings - click the Options button. You will probably see your external drives in the list of exclusions. Just select the drive and click the '-' button. TM will now backup the external as well.

https://www.letstalk-tech.com/back-external-hard-drives-time-machine-mac-os-x/

NB you can exclude folders from TM backups as well. Just click the '+' button and navigate to the places you want to ignore. I always exclude '~/Library/Caches' and '~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync'

Time Machine will backup from external drives if you want it to. I assume that you use a separate drive for Time Machine backups.

You need to go to the Time Machine preferences and check the exclusion settings - click the Options button. You will probably see your external drives in the list of exclusions. Just select the drive and click the '-' button. TM will now backup the external as well.

https://www.letstalk-tech.com/back-external-hard-drives-time-machine-mac-os-x/

NB you can exclude folders from TM backups as well. Just click the '+' button and navigate to the places you want to ignore. I always exclude '~/Library/Caches' and '~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync'

Thanks! :D I didn't know this was possible.