Korg Classic MS-20 VST - Not Registering MIDI/Sound in Logic

mikephelps

I recently purchased the MS-20 synth VST for Logic. I have spent days reading on this forum and other sites, as well as watching videos but I cannot solve this one.

I have loads of VSTs/synths that register MIDI and notes inside of Logic (Serum, TAL, Kontact, etc.), but this Korg Classic plugin will not register.

What's happening specifically...

When I open the plugin and press my midi controller keys, I see them moving on the Korg piano roll but there is no sound.

Noted below the piano roll's drawn notes do NOT play sounds either.

In the same exact Logic file, the same MIDI controller OR piano roll notes do perfectly register.

Typical workflow for this...

- Create new track

- Select 'Software Instrument'

- Either choose empty instrument or select the MS-20FX (neither work)

I have already tested the following without success...

- I have used the piano roll to draw notes and this also returns NO sound, although the output is set to stereo out

- I have used a completely different piano and it yields the same results (works for any plugin except Korg)

- Yes, I have contacted Korg (haven't heard)

- When creating the software instrument I have tried with and without multi-timbral, since one tutorial for another plugin had success

- I have tried every single channel for the software instrument (All, 1,2,3,4,5,6...and so on). I've heard this is successful, but not for me.

- I have updated to latest version of Logic and MacOS

- I have reset MIDI drivers in Logic

- Have tried running 32 bit vs 64 bit in Logic

- Also have tweaked all the MS-20 plugin settings/presets

I can only guess there may be an incompatibility issue with this plugin or a specific setting (maybe MIDI?) that this plugin needs to function properly.

Any help would be incredible, thanks much!

Best not to call them VSTs, since Logic only supports AU plugins :wink:

MS-20FX is the effects only version, not the instrument!

If by "latest version" you mean Big Sur and Logic 10.6, Korg support lists that as compatible on either Intel or Apple silicon.

Have you tried running it standalone outside of Logic yet?

The MS20 plugin has worked fine for me in Logic since it was released. As mentioned above, if you are trying to load and play the "FX" version of the plugin, you're doing it wrong, as this is not an instrument, it's the audio plugin version which is designed to process audio signals.

If you are loading the regular MS20 on an audio instrument track and it's not working, save a test project with this setup how you've done it, zip it and upload it here and we'll take a look to see if there's something you're overlooking...

I think you all are helping me cut through to the issue super quickly. I WAS trying to do the MS-20FX as an instrument. So it sounds like I am totally approaching this incorrectly. With that said...did I buy the wrong thing or is this a configuration issue where I setup the MS-20FX on some other area in Logic to utilize the sounds?

Posted the original Logic file below, which apparently is wrong.

Thanks all for the help so far...

Edited by mikephelps

OK, I'm embarrassed about this all but equally as thankful and grateful for everyone jumping in to help. I selected the AU MS-20/Stereo vs. on the instrument and all is well with the world. This is at least a great reason to have joined this community. Thanks!!