MIDI notes recorded « in double »

Bebop26
Go to solution Solved by Bebop26,

• Solution

Hi !

I have this problem : everytime I record MIDI notes from a MIDI controller keyboard, the notes are recorded twice.

In the piano roll, if I delete a note, I still have the exact same note hidden under the first note that I just deleted.

Needless to say, this is annoying because I have to do everything twice If I do some editing in the piano roll...

I have no idea where to look to fin the cause of this problem.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks so much in advance.

Have a good day !

Pierre

My M-Audio Hammer 88 Preset editor app gives me a blank window when I open it, but I might be able to send a Preset.

If someone reading this has a Hammer 88 and could send me a Preset with no layer, no nothing special, just a simple Preset for a MIDI controller of 88 notes, as standard as possible, I would try to send it to the device to see if it solves my problem.

I really appreciate your help, David. Are you some kind of a Bodhisattva ? A soul that comes back on earth to help people, in the Buddhist philosophy... !

I think I might have things badly connected. I remember I had some problems when I first connected my controller keyboard to Logic. When I found a way where my playing could be recorded, I kept things like that, but there might be a problem with my connections, I agree with you.

Tomorrow morning, I will check everything, connect a DX7, make some tests, and I will come back to this thread.

Thanks a lot !

Hahaha :lol:

Ok check everything and run your tests, then report back. Also if you can, detail exactly what connections you have between the different equipment and your Mac: what type of cables, connected from where to where. For example if you have a MIDI cable going MIDI Out from the keyboard to MIDI In on an a MIDI interface connected via USB to your Mac, plus a USB cable connected from the keyboard to the Mac, then that could explain the doubled MIDI notes.

David, fisherking and des99 :

I found the problem.

In fact, my M-Audio keyboard was connected to my Mac with a USB cable AND to my MIDI interface with a MIDI cable.

I don't know why I did connect things this way, 2 years ago. In my mind, I think there HAD to be a MIDI connection somewhere, I could not figure that a simple USB connection would do the job (I was coming from an old MIDI era where connections where MIDI and Firewire !).

To solve my problem, I just disconnect the MIDI OUT cable of my M-audio Hammer 88 and BAM, everything was now fine !

Indeed, the problem was with my routing !

Before closing this case, I have one more question.

Is there an easy and quick way to remove all the doubled notes in a specific track ?

Thanks again !

Hum, that's what I'm doing, but I was hoping for some kind of a hidden « Remove duplicates » magic function !

Just for my better understanding, what is the impact of having all these doubled notes in all my tracks ? Does it affect the sound, the latency, or something else ?

( I know it's a trouble when it comes to manually changing the velocity, for example, because I need to erase the extra note... but besides that, is there any impact in your opinion, David ?)

Hum... I will have to investigate some more, because on some electric piano tracks it does not seem to change the sound if I delete the notes in double, so I guess it depends of what type of sounds are doubled.

I will close the topic.

Thanks for your precious help, David !

Great! Good to hear we got to the bottom of it. :)

I can't think of an easy way to get rid of the doubled notes. One way that would work at least if you don't have tons of them, is to open the Piano Roll, click a note, Shift-click more notes, then press Delete.

It's Option+d

I know because I use it all the time. :mrgreen:

356509342_0124notes.thumb.png.599fb38396cfc475a01cd3c7c7837586.png

1198353966_02DeleteDuplicates.thumb.png.9689f0785320ad9f58a56d6b3140dbc5.png

193887920_0312notes.thumb.png.12cd6917398e84e3db8d6a334baecb72.png

Valli :

Well, I was happy but now that I've tried it, it does not work for me. What am I doing wrong ?

1. I select the notes. As you can see, 11 notes are visible but 22 notes are selected because under every note, there is the same identical note, making it 22.

172812275_Screen03.thumb.png.ec6ed36cf122ed239e2c2b612e5c9a75.png

2. I delete the duplicate MIDI events.

140029359_screen02.thumb.png.33553576ff3b50372de4062685b3d2fc.png

3. I still have 22 notes left.

78499438_Screen01.thumb.png.e5783718b32d1e008498c62fdb7daff0.png

???

I tried it many times, with different regions and songs, it never works for me.

I'm under Big Sur, with Logic Pro 10.6.2.

Thanks for helping me some more !

Here are screenshots of the piano roll and the event list. I just did again the delete midi events duplicates command, but they are still there.

Life is a big mystery !

Duplicates have identical data in the event list, except for the last column, which seems to be « info ». What are these numbers in the last column : 91/89, 117/115, ...

29920338_Capturedcranle2021-06-1514_54_12.thumb.png.db405c3c1b7ffc615ecca7e2ba029da5.png

1575567276_Capturedcranle2021-06-1514_54_21.thumb.png.fd600f985aa59502c344e7607a85591f.png

Hum, you've got good eyes, David. I did not notice that the last number of the position was slightly different, probably because going through the MIDI interface is slightly slower than going directly to the Mac through USB.

Is there some king of a « Set duration to... » command for MIDI notes ? I can't find such a thing, it could be useful for me...

Thanks David for your generosity.