How to record Modulator as track automation?

Danny Wyatt

I'm using the Modulator MIDI FX on the EQ's frequency (LPF)

How can I convert that modulation as track modulation?

I want to bounce that as audio, but when I do that, the modulator is gone and so I lose that EQ's modulation.

I tried activating the Latch, Touch and Write options, but none of them worked.

I want to bounce that as audio, but when I do that, the modulator is gone and so I lose that EQ's modulation.

Have you tried bouncing the instrument in real time?

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. It’s not that the bounced audio doesn’t have the automation if I don’t bypass the plugins. What I want is to just bounce the instrument, bypass the plugins so I can make changes later on, but since the Modulator is affecting the EQ, once I bounce to audio the Modulator is gone so I lose that automation that I probably want to change later on as well. That’s why I want to convert those movements done by the Modulator, as normal track automation.

You know what I mean?

Oh yes ok I get it. Unfortunately, you can't record the output of the Modulator as automation.

As a workaround you could use a trick such as inserting a compressor on a software instrument channel strip (where you insert your Modulator), and route the bounced audio to the sidechain input of the compressor. Set the compressor to play only the sidechain.

Oh yes ok I get it. Unfortunately, you can't record the output of the Modulator as automation.

As a workaround you could use a trick such as inserting a compressor on a software instrument channel strip (where you insert your Modulator), and route the bounced audio to the sidechain input of the compressor. Set the compressor to play only the sidechain.

Yeah i was thinking about that workaround, but was wondering if we could record that automation.

If you have 3 or 4 midi fx controlling different plugins, you have to do a lot of routing and add extra tracks...

oh well, if there’s no other option...

I wish Apple would change the MidiFx behavior to allow this kind of thing with audio channels. Maybe call it something else rather than of MidiFx

Thanks for confirming that anyway :)

I also do wish we could insert MIDI FX plug-ins on any channel strip type: audio, aux, output...

AT Least some of them that make sense Like the Modulator ;)

Off topic: here on the forum, can I @mention another user without using the quote feature? Sometimes I want to address a specific message, but without the need to quote them, especially when it’s a long reply.

You can't address someone so that a notification is sent to them, if that's what you mean, no.

yes that's what I meant. So every time I want someone to get a notification, I need to quote what they said. Got it ;)

This would be a cool feature added by phpBB to avoid quoting all the time, when it's not necessary... :)

To use the Modulator MIDIFX on any type of track (MIDI/Audio), go thru IAC or a MIDI hardware loopback.

This way you can fine tune your Modulator and eventually record as CC messages.

Then you can turn off all the Modulators and just play the recorded CC midi to play back not only In the current project but export the MIDI to use in other projects.

A single track only allows 8 MIDIFX and IAC will max to 16 MIDI channels so thru one IAC you can use 16 MIDIFX.

Create a second IAC then the max is 32 Modulators, etc...

To use the Modulator MIDIFX on any type of track (MIDI/Audio), go thru IAC or a MIDI hardware loopback.

This way you can fine tune your Modulator and eventually record as CC messages.

Then you can turn off all the Modulators and just play the recorded CC midi to play back not only In the current project but export the MIDI to use in other projects.

A single track only allows 8 MIDIFX and IAC will max to 16 MIDI channels so thru one IAC you can use 16 MIDIFX.

Create a second IAC then the max is 32 Modulators, etc...

Thanks for sharing that!

I almost never use the Environment so I got lost on that last part. Can you explain what you did, the routing and what elements you have there?

How were you able to assign 104 - 107 to each channel and each parameter on each plugin?

Also, instead of having a single External instrument having all modulation, I could use 4 External Instruments, sending to different IACs, so I could have independent tracks for each, right?

Thanks for sharing that!

I almost never use the Environment so I got lost on that last part. Can you explain what you did, the routing and what elements you have there?

How were you able to assign 104 - 107 to each channel and each parameter on each plugin?

I'll create a video that shows a single setup.

From there just create more entries that you wish.

Also, instead of having a single External instrument having all modulation, I could use 4 External Instruments, sending to different IACs, so I could have independent tracks for each, right?

Yes you can but the way I did it I gave each Modulator on the same strip a different MIDI channel.

If you want to split it just use the Split by Midi Channel function to get 4 (in my example) Midi regions on separate tracks.

SaveCC.thumb.png.cc8af2394330c23ee5d087bb5c83e3b4.png

SplitByMidi.png.fa8ca3139285ca58fbaaa51a766cebb7.png

Split.png.079f0b5a1a55e614487b753e1464dcb6.png

It's getting late here so I might just do that video tomorrow morning.

Thanks for sharing that!

I'll create a video that shows a single setup.

From there just create more entries that you wish.

Yes you can but the way I did it I gave each Modulator on the same strip a different MIDI channel.

If you want to split it just use the Split by Midi Channel function to get 4 (in my example) Midi regions on separate tracks.

SaveCC.png

SplitByMidi.png

Split.png

It's getting late here so I might just do that video tomorrow morning.

Really appreciate your help :)

Looking forward to that video.

Have a good night!

Sorry I get really busy with little things here and there but I'll post more to this thread.

I created this additional thread to not to take this thread off topic.

Controlling Modulator MIDIFX

I'll eventually add the Channel Strip. settings to that thread as well as a sample Logic Project too.

Wow that's amazing! Thank you so much for creating that video! :)

I've bookmarked this thread and the other one. Looking forward to the extra info and files you will be sharing.

This will for sure help me a lot when it comes to modulating elements.

Really appreciate your help and time!!!

Sorry I get really busy with little things here and there but I'll post more to this thread.

I created this additional thread to not to take this thread off topic.

Controlling Modulator MIDIFX

I'll eventually add the Channel Strip. settings to that thread as well as a sample Logic Project too.

I've bookmarked this thread and the other one. Looking forward to the extra info and files you will be sharing.

Okay, Logic project is there plus there's a video how to create a Logic project from scratch using the elements within the Logic project I posted.

Watch the video first just to get an idea what's going on and post question to that thread as well if you don't mind. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=158104&p=830062#p830062

I could have forgot something or missed a cable but I look and tested as much as I could, but feel free to post questions.

Okay, Logic project is there plus there's a video how to create a Logic project from scratch using the elements within the Logic project I posted.

Watch the video first just to get an idea what's going on and post question to that thread as well if you don't mind. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=158104&p=830062#p830062

I could have forgot something or missed a cable but I look and tested as much as I could, but feel free to post questions.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate it and I'm sure others that see this will appreciate it as well :)

If I have any questions, I will come back here and the other thread.

Enjoy your weekend!