Only Getting Audio From One Side

Reddington

Hey, I know that title isn't very specific, my bad.

When I go to record vocals, I only get input form my mic coming from the left side.

Also when I play it back, it only plays from the left side (shown in screenshot).

How do I get the audio to go through both left and right channels?

Also when creating tracks specifically to record vocals on, what should I select while creating the new channel strip?

I was trying to record vocals in mono since that's what I hear is best for vocals.

869573494_ScreenShot2021-06-16at5_21_07AM.thumb.png.3f5ed5ad2f0d8f62ed59f4a2aba8f52c.png

You can, however, load a mono to stereo or stereo to mono plugin in a track if you hold down option while bringing up your plugin list. It's a great technique if you want to introduce a stereo effect onto a mono track, like a panner or some other modulation effect for example.

There are some cases where you may want to turn a stereo signal into a mono sound too, making something sound more lofi is one example

Thanks!!

What happens if a plug in only has a stereo option in this case?

If you insert the plug-in on a channel strip with a mono input you should see a mono option? What plug-in is that exactly?

A few plug-ins I've noticed. Some being OVox by Waves, and some plug-ins by Soundtoys like Microsoft for example.

You can, however, load a mono to stereo or stereo to mono plugin in a track if you hold down option while bringing up your plugin list. It's a great technique if you want to introduce a stereo effect onto a mono track, like a panner or some other modulation effect for example.

There are some cases where you may want to turn a stereo signal into a mono sound too, making something sound more lofi is one example

Ah, I see. Super interesting!

I'm just now kinda getting a better grasp on what mono and stereo mean.

I've seen some options that say mono->stereo and vise-versa but haven't really understood it.

What you said does make sense though and helped.

Thank you!

Also, I recorded some vocals on stereo (I'm guessing its stereo because there is only one waveform on the track and not two waveforms on the track like mono).

How can I get those vocals that were recorded in stereo to become mono?

Or is that not even a thing?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge lol.

(I'm guessing its stereo because there is only one waveform on the track and not two waveforms on the track like mono).

You have it backwards.

Mono is one waveform.

Stereo is two waveforms.

Another way to tell is that on the region name you'll see one circle for mono and 2 linked circles for stereo.

And remember when you zoom out in the Tracks area, a stereo region will collapse into one waveform, but only visually.

What plug-in is that exactly?

A few plug-ins I've noticed. Some being OVox by Waves, and some plug-ins by Soundtoys like Microsoft for example.

Ok. So if you only get a stereo option then you can always force-insert a mono plug-in, for example a Logic "Gain" plug-in by Option-clicking the next insert slot, which will sum the signal back into a mono signal.

(I'm guessing its stereo because there is only one waveform on the track and not two waveforms on the track like mono).

You have it backwards.

Mono is one waveform.

Stereo is two waveforms.

Another way to tell is that on the region name you'll see one circle for mono and 2 linked circles for stereo.

And remember when you zoom out in the Tracks area, a stereo region will collapse into one waveform, but only visually.

Ohhh, ok!

I was thinking two waveforms meant mono because mono is sending the same audio to both sides equally (at least that's what I've gathered about mono this far).

Got it, one waveform is mono and two is stereo.

Ok. So if you only get a stereo option then you can always force-insert a mono plug-in, for example a Logic "Gain" plug-in by Option-clicking the next insert slot, which will sum the signal back into a mono signal.

Ok cool! I didn't even know that was a thing.

Thanks!!

I was thinking two waveforms meant mono because mono is sending the same audio to both sides equally (at least that's what I've gathered about mono this far)

Stereo actually means two slightly different signals, thus needing two waveforms to represent that.

It would be redundant to draw to identical signals for mono. Makes sense?

I was thinking two waveforms meant mono because mono is sending the same audio to both sides equally (at least that's what I've gathered about mono this far)

Stereo actually means two slightly different signals, thus needing two waveforms to represent that.

It would be redundant to draw to identical signals for mono. Makes sense?

Yes! Makes sense!

I appreciate the clarification.

I always have a Gain last in my strip either as a Trim so I can get more headroom on the faders, balance the stereo image leaving the channel strip controls free to do mix related positioning, or to sum things into Mono if I felt it was necessary.