Crackle-crackly... plugin???

fredoviola

Howdy folks! I'm working on a song that has a solid number of instruments, sound recordings and plugins, and the first time I play the song it always sounds excellent. But by the third or fourth time I start to get this odd crackling (in left or right, never centered) which continues even after I have stopped the track from playing. Eventually it fades away, but we're talking MINUTES later. I have my buffer size set to the highest setting, and in fact, while hearing this crackly and looking at the CPU usage, it's not even half way up. Any ideas what this could be? I often like to create buildup of tape delay feedback on a bus and I wonder if that could be the issue?

Use your channel meters to tell you which channel it's coming from, then inspect what's going on on that channel.

If it's not on the Logic meters, perhaps it's coming from your audio interface or driver...

Thank you, that's good advice. I did discover that my Vienna Synchron Boesendorfer piano is crackling quite a lot. Also, this is a song I started during a period that I was recording everything 96khz, which seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth in quality! I suppose I should make things a bit easier for Logic Pro X and my computer and convert this project to 48khz. Do you agree that could be part of the problem,?

Actually, it's not the piano. I just muted that instrument and the crackle remains. It's like the crackle builds more and more as the song plays, and it continues even when the song is stopped. Very weird. Hopefully bringing down the kHz setting will fix it. I'm using an Apollo x8 with a satellite and it's not really so many tracks, about 50ish. My CPU should certainly be able to handle this.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I tried doing that, as well as updating my UAD software and firmware, which I discovered was out of date. It did not fix the issue. I'm now in the process of converting the project to 48khz but have discovered another problem.... I had pulled open the time line and began the song before the first bar. Somehow when bouncing and replacing the tracks it only bounces audio files which have been placed AFTER the first bar, so I am missing several important elements at the start of the song. I will write another post with this questions, but just in case somebody sees it here... is there a way to bounce from before the first bar? I have the selection set up at the correct pinpoint. Odd!