Software Monitoring problem

Glenn L.
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi all,

I've seen this before, somehow managed to fix it, but not this time.

I'm trying to run a guitar direct onto an audio track. I have Software Monitoring enabled.

When the transport is inactive, I hear the guitar through the effects. If I hit play, the fx disappears and I only get the direct sound from my audio interface. If I hit record, the fx are there again.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Glenn

Logic 10.6.1

• Solution

First, you should disable the monitoring from your audio interface, so that you don't mix that with software monitoring. So in Logic, disable software monitoring, and set up your interface's software so that you don't hear your guitar at all. Then you can re-enable software monitoring.

Now to make sure you hear your guitar during playback, toggle Record > Auto Input Monitoring.

Right. I plugged the FF into my iMac (10.14.6), which is running Logic 10.5.1, opened Logic and everything worked perfectly. So, I saved the Totalmix snapshot, brought it over to the M1 Mini, and….it didn't work as expected. My audio prefs for Logic are the same on both computers.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, NAILED THE SWINE!

Look at the screenshot. On some video somewhere, sometime, it was demonstrated that the 'record' button had various modes. So, I had a 'lightbulb' moment, and went and had a look. BINGO! AUTO INPUT MONITORING HAD TO BE UNCHECKED! Bloody 'ell...... :evil: :roll: :)

1625016068_Screenshot2021-07-01at6_27_34PM.thumb.jpg.2064bb2c88791912b57c4bb3cd1bb11a.jpg

:oops:

I didn't understand 'toggle record.' For medical reasons my brain ain't working normally. :cry:

Thanks again, David et al!

You're welcome! Just glad to hear you ended up being sorted out, that's what matters.

I completely understand that sometimes, some of my (our) answers may not be 100% clear to the posters asking the questions, however I do wish that when something is unclear, posters would ask for clarification. Communication often ends up working that way. In my ideal world, a question on this forum should/could look something like this:

A: "What's a guzmilakokindakoun?"

B: "It's a dakoun that has been guzmialkokined".

A: "Oh ok... but what's a dakoun?"

B: "Oh it's just another word for hamburger."

A: "Ah great... so ... and BTW what does guzmilakokined means?"

B: "It's old english for grilled."

A: "Oh ok... so... just a grilled burger?"

B: "Yes, that's it."

A: "Great, thanks!"

B: "Now I'm hungry."

A: "ME TOO!!!"

Then again... I'm afraid I just showed how my brain may not work "normally" either (whatever a "normal" brain is). :lol:

My brain… I didn't even know there was a name for it. I like it, though. 'Arnold' has a nice 'Green Acres' ring to it.

Thing is, I tried to reset that function unlocked the template before doing so, locked it again, and it re-booted with input monitoring ON.