Record Midi CC only without Note on/off

constant survivor
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

ah sorry my bad. I did not point out enough what's going on.

I am sequencing the VST tracks (several) with a hardware sequencer. I put every VST track to its own MIDI channel and record arm each track. Auto-DeMix is activated in the project settings. Now if I hit record on a VST track, then of course the notes that are put out by the sequencer are recorded into logic. Thats what I want to avoid but still be able to record MIDI CC from other external controller gear (like Soundforce SFC 60).

Know what I mean?

Thanks for response!

Oh ok I see. Then you could insert a Transformer in the MIDI environment, somewhere between the physical input object and the Sequencer input (in the Click and Ports layer). Set the Transformer to filter notes.

[attachment=0]Filter Notes.png[/attachment]

If I do so, I do not hear any sound anymore from the VST track. ??? I am able to record automation but of course that's useless without hearing the sound. What am I doing wrong?

Oh ok then if you want to still route the notes to the instrument while bypassing the sequencer input so that the notes are not recorded, try this setup. I Option-click the output of the Transformer and in the pop-up menu chose Mixer > Software Instruments > Your-inst-track-name. Then click the 2nd output from the Transformer and cable it into the Sequencer input.

858748279_bypasssequencer.png.1a75cacdbd1b05fcdfb53ea12ff13492.png

Back again!

David please: how to proceed with further VST tracks on individual midi channels that also are triggered by the sequencer (on individual channel of course).

I already set the channel of the first MIDI transformer to '1' because when it was set to 'all', then VST track 2 did not receive MIDI data from the sequencer.

do I have to insert an other MIDI Transformer? I tried several things but without success...

Thanks

• Solution
do I have to insert an other MIDI Transformer? I tried several things but without success...

Yes, you have to create one MIDI Transformer for each instrument, place them one after the other, so that the first one routes all MIDI Notes on channel 1 to Inst 1, everything else to the bottom cable that is cabled into a second transformer. That one routes all MIDI Notes on channel 2 to Inst 2, etc...

Basically the first transformer routes the notes directly to the instrument, so that they trigger the instrument and you can hear them. However because those notes are no longer routed to the Sequencer input, they are no longer reaching the Tracks area, so they're not recorded. Everything else is still routed to the Sequencer input and therefore can be recorded.

Instead of putting transformers on the "sum" you could connect your sequencer directly to a channel splitter object and from there to the instrument(s)... Or are you sending midi cc from the sequencer you want to record ?

Actually I want to use Logic just for recording automation on the VST tracks. The sequencer works like a hardware DAW but I would also be able to record automation on the hardware (Synthstrom Deluge) by assigning the MIDI CC of a parameter to its control knobs. In that case: yes, then I would send CC from the sequencer. But not necessarily...

What kind of channel splitter do you actually mean? you mean a splitter in the MIDI environment of Logic?!

Hi Jakob and David,

if I got it right, then I could use Jakobs setup if I record MIDI CC exclusively from other devices than the Deluge, right?

David: Where would you put the MIDI transformer in Jakobs setup? Because actually it would be better for me to keep the option of recording MIDI CC from the Deluge as well.

Very grateful for your suggestions and help!

Yeah, I noticed I had to option+click+hold to be able to get to the menu, couldn't just option+click... You could also open another environment mixer window and drag the cable from one window to the next. If you want to record midi cc from the Deluge you set up a transformer before the channel splitter to send notes to the instruments and midi cc goes to sequencer input.

487948835_SplitNotesampCC.thumb.png.5478e60600456d914b913520833a47fd.png