Can't seem to control Volca Bass

Professor Longtooth

Complete beginner here! I have my Korg Volca Bass connected via midi to a scarlett 4i4 and the headphone output going to channel 1. I can't seem to see the Volca anywhere in the software and the USB keyboard I have plugged in does nothing. When I hit play on the Volca, sound comes through Logic, but I can't seem to control it with my keyboard. The midi on the Volca works because when I plug my moog into it I can control it fine. I also have a midi-usb cable and Logic won't recognize it that way either. I have watched several tutorials, but some things are different in the current version of Logic. Thanks in advance!

Complete beginner here! I have my Korg Volca Bass connected via midi to a scarlett 4i4 and the headphone output going to channel 1. I can't seem to see the Volca anywhere in the software and the USB keyboard I have plugged in does nothing. When I hit play on the Volca, sound comes through Logic, but I can't seem to control it with my keyboard. The midi on the Volca works because when I plug my moog into it I can control it fine. I also have a midi-usb cable and Logic won't recognize it that way either. I have watched several tutorials, but some things are different in the current version of Logic. Thanks in advance!

For one, many USB cable interface are not that reliable...

Also, I don't think that the Volca can send MIDI.

But I think (?) that the Scarlett could be used as a MIDI interface, connecting your Moog's MIDI OUT to Scarlett MIDI IN, and Scarlett's MIDI OUT to Volca MIDI IN. And the Scarlett's USB to your Mac.

That way the Volca is triggered from your Moog's keyboard through Logic.

And to record both MIDI (from your Moog) and audio (from your Volca) you could try using the External Instrument plugin, which you instantiate on a virtual instrument track in Logic.

Then set External Instrument plugin's MIDI destination and channel (to your MIDI interface to which is connected your Volca).

Since it seems that you managed to connect successfully the Volca's audio to Logic (via your Scarlett 4i4), set the External Instrument plugin's audio Input to the Scarlett's corresponding audio channel.

These diagrams could help figuring out the above.

Also, it is recommended to update your drivers and firmware of your devices (Scarlett and Volca)...