Metronome interferes with monitoring master level

countBasil
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I am trying to monitor my project for both timing (with the metronome) and max master level. It seemed that no matter what I did I was still clipping… But I finally figured out that my (loud) metronome was the culprit!

I'm guessing there is some way to route everything EXCEPT the metronome to a monitor, and then watch that to figure out track levels? I'm pretty new to all this so I have not figured this out and could not find it in the forms…

Thank you for any advice!

• Solution

I personally see timing and master level on the very opposite ends of the production timeline with *lots* of stuff in between, so I honestly can't imagine trying to check both at the same time.

That being said, you could route everything but the metronome to an Aux, put your mastering processing (if any) there and the level meter as the last plugin.

However, I *guarantee* that you will end up with a different level on the bounce either because Aux Fader, Stereo Out or Master Fader weren't at unity gain, or because you forgot to switch off the metronome prior to bouncing. You can quote me on that.