MIDI controller stops working when starting Logic

constant survivor

Hello again,

today suddenly a strange problem appeared. As soon as I open up Logic, my MIDI controller (SFC-60) stops sending MIDI data. Before I open up Logic, it does transmit MIDI (checked via SNOIZE).

I have some other controllers and they all are working fine. Its just the one. I played with some hardware MIDI configurations before the problem appeared but it's unlikely I think that this influenced the whole thing. I did not change any MIDI settings in Logic or on my MAC.

Any suggestions?

Best

Hannes

sorry should have mentioned that: already tried to avoid the hub. problem still remained...

for now the controller worked like it should for almost 3 hours of usage. maybe the problem won't occur again. thank you so far I guess we could leave it for now and I may come back if the issue occurs again.

I'm not sure if you've tried every combination of troubleshooting steps we've suggested? I would try without the hub, control surfaces bypassed, and different USB cables, all at the same time.

The SFC-60 is an odd duck as controllers go. It's designed to only control software instruments, the TAL Uno in particular. If you are using it with that plugin, the manual states:

In the menu of the plugin, you will need to turn on the option “SFC 60 MIDI controller”. With that option on, the plugin will now send MIDI messages to the controller when presets are changed and instances are switched. The controller will ingest that data and update all the LED-based switches on its interfaces.

It wouldn't surprise me if the controller firmware gets confused when it recieves MIDI messages other than those sent by the plugin.

Have you contacted the manufacturer about this problem yet?

yes I did that but after I did, the controller started working again. so I wrote to him that everything's fine. I have to observe the problem a little longer I guess to be sure about what's going on. but as you said it actually "feels" like the controller is getting some wrong information at a certain moment and then refuses to send data. I'll keep you updated when there are news.

This rings a bell of someone's semi-DIY controller here recently that was running some kind of open source firmware for MIDI control. When Logic ran, it sent some data to the device (a query for connected controllers, generally), which then completely killed the controller's MIDI output.

It turned out the firmware for the device wasn't expecting to receive MIDI bytes, and then hung when it did so. A little extra handler in the MIDI routines to correctly handle incoming data gracefully and the controller then worked from that point.

The problem as described seems similar. I'm sure a few searches will turn up the thread for the info, and perhaps forward this to the developer of that controller if it looks a likely possibility.

It wouldn't surprise me if the controller firmware gets confused when it recieves MIDI messages other than those sent by the plugin.

Yes, exactly.

Edited by des99

I also already did that. when the problem occurs, The controller sends no MIDI data independently of Logic open or closed or whatever. But Logic definitely is the trigger.

If your Mac does not receive any MIDI events, Logic cannot possibly interpret the non-existent MIDI events.

yes what I meant was that Logic kills the MIDI output of the controller.

I also think that it is some MIDI message "confusing" the controller. I forwarded this thread the developer who, by the way, already replied that some other user has the same issue. I have two other controllers of the same manufacturer and they work without problems so far.

If your Mac does not receive any MIDI events, Logic cannot possibly interpret the non-existent MIDI events.

Logic can not affect what your controller is sending to your Mac. It can affect only how it interprets what it’s receiving. If Snoize doesn’t show anything then Logic isn’t receiving anything.

Logic can not affect what your controller is sending to your Mac. It can affect only how it interprets what it’s receiving. If Snoize doesn’t show anything then Logic isn’t receiving anything.

What do you mean? After the problem occurs, the controller is not sending MIDI to the Mac at all anymore (monitored with SNOIZE).

Definitely set up a MIDI Monitor and see what messages are coming out of Logic. Then pass that data along to the manufacturer.

good suggestion!