Snapping Regions Acurately

Warrior

One thing that has continued to plague me is getting my regions to line up with or snap to a grid line.

There always seems to be a gap or overlap and I have to zoom in to tweak it.

I know there must be a simple setting I'm not using right. I've looked all over the place and have tried many different things but this still eludes me.

Can someone please guide me through this basic principle?

Thank you so much!

923874571_ScreenShot2021-06-19at11_31_23AM.thumb.png.c509674e6b6f4849a6ec470f4cef9ab0.png

It’s the same with with me as well. I’ve changed the snap setting from smart (it’s not very smart) to Devision - and then made key commands for 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32.

If you don’t wanna do that move the play head to the bar or beat you want to snap to and Hit “;” which is pickup clock (should be called move to playhead in my opinion)

Hope that offers some help

One thing that has continued to plague me is getting my regions to line up with or snap to a grid line.

There always seems to be a gap or overlap and I have to zoom in to tweak it.

I know there must be a simple setting I'm not using right. I've looked all over the place and have tried many different things but this still eludes me.

Can someone please guide me through this basic principle?

Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 11.31.23 AM.png

There are 2 things I can think of:

1 - Under the SNAP menu, do you have it set to Snap Regions to Absolute Value or Snap Regions to Relative Value? When I want something really accurate, I make it "Absolute Value".

2 - If it's an audio track and you are trying to align the end of the region (right edge), but your anchor is on the left, then Logic is snapping the left edge, not the right

There are 2 things I can think of:

1 - Under the SNAP menu, do you have it set to Snap Regions to Absolute Value or Snap Regions to Relative Value? When I want something really accurate, I make it "Absolute Value".

2 - If it's an audio track and you are trying to align the end of the region (right edge), but your anchor is on the left, then Logic is snapping the left edge, not the right

I did have it set to "Relative".

When you say "anchor", would that be the playhead or could it be something else?

Did changing it to Relative solve your problem?

When you say "anchor", would that be the playhead or could it be something else?

The anchor point is a reference point that Logic uses to align audio regions. As default, when you double click an audio region and you click the File tab (by default it goes to the Track tab), the anchor will be on the far left side at the bottom.

anchor-left.jpg.bb0ed6b7641be36a9cc50e2835aca939.jpg

That's why when you move a region around, it will use the left edge of the region to align/snap the region. If you drag an audio region around in your Tracks area you will see a gray vertical line

anchor-left.gif.33b7ba5816e590990920bbe8574a9722.gif

Now you can drag that anchor point to any place inside your audio region

anchor-custom.jpg.f1533b4efc8bb0794687264460abb826.jpg

And then you will see that the vertical gray line is now in a different spot and it also shows a black dot so you can see where it is

anchor-custom.gif.be580adb1a7e892a48116c069bf86b3d.gif

This is very useful when you want to snap a different part of the audio, for example if you have a reverse sound you probably want the right edge to snap to the grid, instead of the left.

Hope it helps and hope you were able to finally fix your project :)

Did changing it to Relative solve your problem?

The anchor point is a reference point that Logic uses to align audio regions. As default, when you double click an audio region and you click the File tab (by default it goes to the Track tab), the anchor will be on the far left side at the bottom.

anchor-left.jpg

That's why when you move a region around, it will use the left edge of the region to align/snap the region. If you drag an audio region around in your Tracks area you will see a gray vertical line

anchor-left.gif

Now you can drag that anchor point to any place inside your audio region

anchor-custom.jpg

And then you will see that the vertical gray line is now in a different spot and it also shows a black dot so you can see where it is

anchor-custom.gif

This is very useful when you want to snap a different part of the audio, for example if you have a reverse sound you probably want the right edge to snap to the grid, instead of the left.

Hope it helps and hope you were able to finally fix your project :)

This is great stuff! Thank you for putting this together.

I'm making progress. I haven't had much time to try different scenarios as I've been busy finishing some mixes but I will be editing some tracks very soon.