On a different note...

MercurySurfer

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to music production, & upon experimentation with my setup, I couldn't help but notice that *neither* my Microkorg XL *nor* my Korg Electribe Sampler are making noise when being routed through a Mackie mixer into Logic. I see a signal coming through into the mixer but no sound coming into the DAW itself. It begs me to ask the question: do I need an audio interface for these hardware devices to be registered by Logic or is there some other setting or function that I'm overlooking that needs tweaking??

Also note that my Yamaha MX-61 could be heard very clearly upon using the same inputs into the mixer.

Thank you for your time.

-MS

No MacBook Pro accepts a "standard audio cable", whatever that is. You might have plugged in a mini phone plug into the Mac's headphone socket, but that's an output, not an input.

To be fair, my MacBook Pro (and the two I had before this one), all have both a stereo headphone output and a stereo line input, so it's possible he is connected to the Mac's line input, if it has one.

This model has only a headphone socket which has four contacts

Tip = HP left

Ring = HP right

Ring = common ground

Ring = external microphone

As I said, you will not get access to that single mono input through a standard audio cable. Also, it is mono. Also, it feeds into an onboard audio chip worth 2$ (if you're lucky).

You'll have way better sound with an extra audio interface (decent stereo ones come in at about 150.-) .