How to disable mini midi keyboard attack changing pitch

jeofree
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I've been using Logic Pro X for a while but somewhat new still. I've been using my Casio PX 330 as a midi keyboard for months with no issues.

I just bought a mini midi keyboard (MidiPlus AKM320) to have right at the computer for tweaks and the first thing I notice is that velocity on the keys seems to be linked to pitch change, i.e. if I attack the key even moderately hard the pitch bends up a half step and comes back down. I suspect the difference is just that the old Casio isn't velocity sensitive (beautiful keyboard, love it) or not in the same way perhaps.

I'm triggering a Fretless Bass software instrument, and looking through the instrument details I can't seem to figure it out. The included screenshot is I suspect the right place to look, but for example under Mod Matrix where it says "source = velocity" and "target = sample select", if I change that to "none" there's simply no sound. The one below that, LFO 1, seems even more likely since the target is "pitch", but turning that off or changing the target to "none" doesn't remove the pitch bend.

I don't find anything on the keyboard itself to change, and to be clear I don't want to disable velocity sensitivity, I just don't want velocity to change pitch on this instrument.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

1122529808_ScreenShot2021-06-20at6_20_18PM.thumb.png.aae6423a030bd0e2863f2bfd7e0cb099.png

• Solution

Not in front of Logic but I believe that instrument is triggering different samples that have that pitch bend/slide effect recorded within the sample. So most likely:

1. Your new keyboard is triggering high velocities even when you play a key moderately.

2. The Velocity —> Sample Select modulation routing in Sampler is responsible for the effect you're hearing.

@David

That was it.

I had sort of zeroed in there as the culprit and had tried changing the target to "none" (resulting in no sound, because it's not selecting any sample) and changing the amount to 50% (barely audible, tiny clicks) but your clue about the bend being built into one of the samples that comprise the instrument got me trying some other things. It turns out changing the "amount" to 95% solves it completely. Almost anything below 100% removes the bend, for whatever reason.

Thanks so much.