Q About Automation Mode Warning

enossified

My Nektar Panorama controller has a button that toggles through the automation modes for the currently selected track, displaying the current mode on it's screen so I do not have to look at the computer display.

However, the very first time after opening a project, using the button to toggle from Latch to Write, this warning pops up:

444081559_ScreenShot2021-06-22at9_01_51AM.png.e6ee939a5cecdbe61ea0a8f7ffbf87ff.png

Clicking on OK closes the popup and advances the mode to Write:

872584854_ScreenShot2021-06-22at9_02_09AM.png.4f504d7fe86aba4e5be591a34a8eabe4.png

After that, I can toggle through the automation modes as much as I like and get no further warnings on any track about switching to Write until I quit.

This behavior happens whether I select Write from the controller button or using the mouse.

I checked Preferences->Automation and could not find a way to turn this warning off. I saw this option, though:

1041729913_ScreenShot2021-06-22at9_12_19AM.thumb.png.b25e4db8c17c11c9c4cc7ae7a38dbe20.png

I tried setting this to Off, but that didn't stop the pop up warning. What is this setting for, switch to the selected mode instead of Write as a safety measure?

Is there any way to block the pop up warning?

No, you can't block off the warning. Why would you ever want to use the Write mode though? Personally, I never use it, so if' you've found a use for it, I would be curious to hear about it! :)

PS the setting you're referring to is a safety precaution, yes, so that you don't stay in Write mode by mistake and risk ruining your entire mix.

I think the OP is saying it's not so much that he wants to use write mode, it's that he has to use a single toggle button that cycles through the automation mode parameters, so if you're always going "through" write mode as you change modes, and if the popup keeps coming up, I can see why that would be annoying...

I think the OP is saying it's not so much that he wants to use write mode, it's that he has to use a single toggle button that cycles through the automation mode parameters, so if you're always going "through" write mode as you change modes, and if the popup keeps coming up, I can see why that would be annoying...

OOooh ok I get it now, thanks for clarifying des99. That makes sense.

I can't imagine working with a button that cycles through modes then. Personally I use key commands for selected or all tracks to Off, Read, Touch or Latch.

Yep, usually hardware controllers tend to have dedicated Off/Read, Touch, Write etc mode switches - the MCU and Behringer ones do this, for example. But if a controller has implemented automation mode switching like this to save on buttons, it would seem to be a not so great solution...

Yes, it's a single button and the cycling is OK except for the first time Write is selected. It's annoying mainly because I keep forgetting about it ;)

I usually choose Latch for recording automation, so I hit the popup the first time I cycle back to Read. I never use Write for the reasons you pointed out. I avoid key commands whenever I can use the controller interface instead.

Thx for the replies.