restoring part of a non-destructive edit

beebeeveevee

Hi everyone

I'm always so grateful this forum exists and thanks again David for all the work you do. Your book got me started!

Quick question:

I have audio tracks with regions that I've chopped up. In Cubase, I was able to bring my pointer to the middle of a region and drag it out to restore the rest of the audio file pre-edit.

When I do that in Logic, it extends the region and the audio file as I'd expect, unless the region has multiple takes in it. Is this just a result of using Quick Swipe Comping?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for my workflow? I'd like to be able to trim and chop up regions, while still having easy access to the remainder of the audio file.

Hope that makes sense!

If I understand you correctly, I do think you would need to flatten the take folder before you chop up the region if you want to be able to reverse your edits that way. If you are hesitant to flatten the take folder (maybe to be able to edit the comp again later), you can make a new track alternative first. Then your take folder will be saved in editable form on the earlier alternative.

Hi everyone

I'm always so grateful this forum exists and thanks again David for all the work you do. Your book got me started!

Great! You're welcome, and good to hear. :)

When I do that in Logic, it extends the region and the audio file as I'd expect, unless the region has multiple takes in it. Is this just a result of using Quick Swipe Comping?

Indeed, when your audio regions are in a take folder, extending the take folder does not bring back the hidden audio waveform. Instead, you need to make sure you're in edit mode (Quick Swipe Comping turned off), then to resize the takes on the subtracks inside the take folder:

extend-take-folder.gif.9d341b14ca9dfab080032e7d1ff2567c.gif