Can't export MIDI files

grumblepig
Go to solution Solved by ValliSoftware,

Hi - I'm sure this is a common problem, but I couldn't find it quickly during a search, so I'm posting in hopes I'm missing some basic trick.

Trying to export MIDI files, but not having any luck. Basically, as I click Export, nothing further happens - no window asking me where to save the file etc.

I'm certain I've been able to export MIDI in Logic before, but no luck today.

Help?

Thanks!

I've rebooted, quit Logic, yep. And it does seem to be certain projects, not all. I tried copying the uncooperative MIDI files to nearby tracks and I've tried converting them to Instrument tracks, but zero response when I I hit Export. I'm too clumsy (and frustrated!) to be able to detail exactly when and how things are/aren't happening, but this is a weird one - and I need be able to copy these particular files for someone on the soon side.

It does seem to be project-related, the problem I'm having. I created a new MIDI track for one of the songs I'm having no export luck with, and when I hit Export for this newly-made track, the Destination Dialog box popped up.

I *think* I sorta tried doing what you're suggesting - created a new project, then hit Import > Logic Projects, loading up one of the projects I'm having trouble with. Now, I only imported the MIDI file I need. It plays fine in the project, yet won't export. Does this offer any clues?

I *think* I sorta tried doing what you're suggesting - created a new project, then hit Import > Logic Projects, loading up one of the projects I'm having trouble with. Now, I only imported the MIDI file I need. It plays fine in the project, yet won't export. Does this offer any clues?

The dialog box won't pop up on this

Wrong.png.43e6fa084ef1e053c9641c67d347e9cf.png

because the MIDI Region isn't selected.

Select the MIDI Region

Correct.png.0fbf64f60b47bf57ace8a257a79c600e.png

Then the dialog box will pop up.

Another warning you might get is if the MIDI events fall outside the region in the beginning .

Selecting MIDI Region - which I'd always do when exporting a MIDI file - isn't making a difference. I'm not getting any warnings at all - regarding MIDI events falling outside the region etc - and these regions are quantized and thus all fall within the beginning of the start time. It's baffling, though I'm sure there's some deep-dive Logic secret at the end of this dark tunnel!

Selecting MIDI Region - which I'd always do when exporting a MIDI file - isn't making a difference. I'm not getting any warnings at all - regarding MIDI events falling outside the region etc - and these regions are quantized and thus all fall within the beginning of the start time. It's baffling, though I'm sure there's some deep-dive Logic secret at the end of this dark tunnel!

Do it again but just before you export, take a screenshoot of the whole screen.

I'd say post your project but I'm not sure you'd want to do that.

doesn't work here either, but... here's what i've observed:

the track shows as 'scarlett 8i6 USB 1'... an audio device. where was this played from? a midi keyboard??

i get a warning on opening the file, that the 'scarlett' is no longer available as a midi OUT port; are you controlling a hardware synth?

this is probably more significant: in the event list, all the note lengths show as '001 0'... that last '0' seems... odd (someone else here should know what that means)..

also, as soon as i added a single note to your track (from my keyboard), the region can now be exported as midi.

hope this info is useful

Curious! And thanks for further investigation. Yeah, this bass line was recorded from a synth into my Scarlett interface. The Scarlett is still a functioning part of the equation on my end - still sending MIDI Out to my synths etc.

The note length may be simply my having set all notes to such via MIDI Transform. That said, the notes shouldn't all be same length - there are some long-held notes in the track.

How did you add the single note, or where etc? I tried adding one at the end of the track, but still no luck with the Export function.

I did loads of cleaning up recently. I'm starting to suspect that has something to do with it... except I did go to some of the earlier, un-cleaned backups and still no luck. But maybe I deleted an alias for the tracks that now won't export? I'm lost, I tell you!

You are a hero! Thank you so much for this.

Best I can guess is that in my recent mad flurry of file deletion/consolidation etc (I was also one of the recent victims of "blooming files" and spent days reducing my 1- and 2GB files down by hook or by crook...), I maybe renamed the MIDI tracks that are now causing trouble. Or, based on your work here, I'm seeing that the un-exportable MIDI tracks aren't coming up as Regions, but only as Tracks. I've zero clue what that might mean as to why etc, but maybe it's something.

Thanks to everybody chiming in - I think I've been a bit on the uptight side all day and don't know if my appreciation has been apparent, but I really enjoy the way people here are so helpful. Part of it is also down to the fun of software detective work, too!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...