Exporting MIDI Drums Properly

Culljosh

Evening All,

I'm sending an engineer my files to mix, and wondering if anyone includes the main audio track within logic drums with your .wav files?

It would be the very first track you can manipulate, before OVERHEADS in this picture. It will be labeled as UNMIXED+.

711161748_trackheaders.png.86b5203f20738a3ce5db8e35c03d6494.png

Essentially, the tracks are not as powerful without it, and I don't know if that track is a mix down of all the tracks as a bus or just an overall volume?

I do think it sounds way fuller with it, but I wanted all opinions, as I am no expert at any of this in Logic.

(I also have a Tape Machine VST on it too, and it provides great warmth)

Help, I'm scared because it sounds like a different song now. :)

CHEERS!

You have to talk to your mixing engineer.

When I have a file to mix, either I mix it myself, or I trust a mixing engineer to mix it. If I trust him to mix it then I send him raw tracks, with no plug-ins, no sub-mixes, no routing, nothing. Then he's free to do whatever he believes needs to be done. If I want to give him an idea of what the mix should sound like then I may send him a quick mix I've done myself, as a reference, but not to actually use it in the final product.

You could send him a submix of your warm/delayed drums for reference if that's the drum sound you want but it is delicate to both trust someone to provide a service AND at the same time guide them to how you would like to provide the service. For example, maybe your mixing engineer will determine that the warm sound of the tape delay doesn't work on the drums when mixed along with the other instruments. What should he do then? So you have to determine exactly what you want to decide for yourself and what you're free to let him decide for himself.

Mixing is a creative process, so too many directives can sometimes undermine the creative process and restrict the result you'll get out of someone.