External Midi interface/Sound module - Auto Selection

TSGTSG

Hi Guys,

Every time I use any other midi software play back program, I can select what external interface I use and It plays my midi files correctly. (Im using a Roland UM ONE MK2 Interface)

I cant seem to do that with logic pro. I would like to be able to import a midi file and have it automatically play back through the Roland Interface. Is this possible?

Thanks again.

I cant seem to do that with logic pro. I would like to be able to import a midi file and have it automatically play back through the Roland Interface. Is this possible?

Not automatically, no. After you've imported your MIDI file, you need to select a MIDI destination for each track created in the Tracks area. To select a destination, first, select a track, then in the Library, choose your Roland MIDI Out port and a MIDI Channel.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Well thats a pain. I work on midifiles quite often and if I need to select an output for each channel, (most midis I use have 16 channels) for each midifile, that would take up so much time.

I was hoping it would be automatic like many other playback programs.

Thanks again for your help.

How are you importing your files? In the Help page on Standard MIDI Files in Logic it says:

In Logic Pro, choose File > Open (or use the corresponding key command), then select a MIDI file in the dialog that appears.

If a project is loaded, a dialog asks if you want to create a new environment or copy the current environment for the MIDI file. Do one of the following:

--To replicate the existing environment: Click Copy. The tracks of the MIDI file are automatically assigned to suitable instruments.

--To load the environment of the default project template: Click New.

The MIDI file is loaded as a new project that contains all MIDI events—inclusive of time positions and channel assignments, names of individual tracks, names and positions of markers, tempo changes, and copyright marks. The copyright mark is read as marker text. As a default behavior, Logic Pro automatically creates software instrument tracks for each MIDI track, and assigns an appropriate GarageBand instrument to each, when you open a MIDI file. If you want to use external MIDI tracks for each MIDI track, press Option while opening the MIDI file.

Hi Enossified,

You are a legend... That is exactly what I was after. Every Midifile plays through my interface now if I open it with the "Option" key. Thank you so much.

Can I ask tho, why when I do this, It doesn't show the instruments for each track nor does it show any faders etc, so I cant change volume/pan etc.

I have attached a pic. Each track only says "GM DEVICE" and not what instrument each track plays. It sends the right instrument to my sound module but would be great to see it in logic.

Thanks again. This is awesome.

1169252218_ScreenShot2021-06-30at8_49_20am.thumb.png.ad82b467b835a11d197e23fc54baaeb0.png

I don't use GM hardware so I can't answer your question.

Sadly, the Logic Help pages turn up nothing when searching for "GM Device". Normally, an external MIDI track should have both a fader (tied to CC#7) and a panpot (tied to CC#10).

Can you post a screenshot with the track inspector or mixer open to show channel strips?

I downloaded a GM MIDI file from here and have attached it for you to try.

Here is what I got when I did Open of the MIDI file with Option:

Track 1 selected

975779290_ScreenShot2021-06-29at11_58_14PM.thumb.png.660adf1e35b040d9cf53dce6a62ad7fb.png

Track 2 selected

1379451170_ScreenShot2021-06-29at11_57_42PM.thumb.png.1bf483aec4f21b8626b7c637820b4d34.png

You can see that it has instrument names, icons, faders and panpots...except for track 1 named GM Device. In the track inspector you can see that track 1 has no controls, but track 2 does...fader, panpot and FX sends. The fader meters show MIDI volume levels (I do not have any hardware connected, so I get no sound). I can only assume that there is header information in the MIDI file that was read by Logic. Please try it for yourself. If my file works the same for you, it means that information is missing from your file.

Unique_II-Break_My_Stride.mid

Yes the file you sent open exactly as yours does...

I have thousands of files and all the ones I have opened, dont have any instrument names, icons, faders and panpots etc... I have attached a file for you to try if you dont mind, I cant seem to work it out.

Thanks for all your help

P.S This is a purchased midi file so I'd assume it would have all relevant information in the file..

24K Magic.mid

I downloaded MidiKit, a shareware MIDI File editor. I opened up the two MIDI files in the editor to see the differences in events.

My file has multiple tracks in the file (type 1)

611173294_ScreenShot2021-06-30at10_49_33AM.thumb.png.c8ab638458d0bfbf6e798f4280cc08d9.png

Your file has a single track in the file (type 0 KARAOKE, with scrolling lyrics). It should have a .kar extension, rather than .mid, BTW.

664765765_ScreenShot2021-06-30at10_49_18AM.thumb.png.164d82f78b33f4bed1ea5bfe0131f3f3.png

I'm going to guess that Logic cannot properly extract the names from a type 0 or karaoke file, although it can separate out a track for each of the 16 MIDI channels. Since the type 1 file has multiple tracks, Logic can apparently get the name from the program change messages. I'm also assuming the lack of faders, pots and FX sends is because that is not compatible with a single track containing multiple MIDI channels.

Different sequencers treat the different SMF Types differently. Some can only import Type 0, some can import both. Some can export only Type 0, some can export both. That's all I can figure out!!! Good luck.

That actually makes sense... When I do save a file in another software, It always defaults as a Type 0 file. I have tested it and you are spot on... A type 0 file has no info, where a type 1 file has everything there when opened up in Logic.

I've saved the same file as a type 0 and a type 1 and opened them both in Logic and these are the results.

Pics attached to see difference.

Thank you so much for looking into it for me.... You're a legend!... :)

1764300501_Type0.thumb.png.81a637ea7cab16864814dd6cc84409e5.png

TYPE 0

2057604480_Type1.thumb.png.211099de6a5f32c3a1dce79de9d16825.png

TYPE 1